A Message From The Director
It is a terrific honor to be appointed as the Director of the Cancer Center at the University of Virginia. UVA Cancer Center has had a tremendous record of success, being an NCI designated center now for more than 26 years. It is a privilege for me to be the first holder of the F. Palmer-Weber Smith Foods Professor of Oncology Research, an endowment established in recognition of Mike Weber’s dad. I plan on building on the success achieved by Mike, the 4th director of UVA Cancer Center. These are the major themes that are of the highest priority for me as director:
1. Strengthening the ties between the clinic and the cancer research laboratories
2. Achieving NCI designation as a comprehensive cancer center.
We are fortunate in having state of the art clinical technology and an absolutely wonderful practice site for outpatient oncology care in the Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center. Another goal is to continue building out the UVA Cancer Center affiliation network throughout the state. There are significant clinical investment opportunities through the Cancer Center of Excellence. We will be recruiting key clinical leaders and basic scientists to increase the focus on translational research. We will be emphasizing the development of a population research division within the Cancer Center as a pre-requisite for achieving NCI comprehensive status by 2020. I look forward to leading the UVA Cancer Center to even greater success in the years to come.
- To Discover the fundamental causes of cancer
- To Develop new knowledge into tools for cancer treatment, diagnosis and prevention
- To Deliver the most innovative and compassionate care to our patients
- To Distribute the tools for cancer detection, prevention and treatment to the citizens of Virginia and beyond