Flow Cytometry Core Facility Training Course
Introductory Flow Cytometry
WHAT? A comprehensive training course in the basics of flow cytometry that includes 12 hours of lecture and 12 hours of hands-on training in the lab. The course can be taken as a lecture only course or as both lecture and lab.
Lecture topics will include:
- A description of flow cytometry, its complementary technologies, and common applications
- The components of a flow cytometer and how they work
- Fluorescence and compensation
- Critical aspects of experimental design
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures
- Data analysis/ interpretation/ presentation
Lab will include (using calibration particles and fully stained samples):
- A tour of the instrumentation and all of its components
- An introduction to Cellquest Pro software for data acquisition and analysis
- Instrument set up, instrument settings for data acquisition and storage
- Instrument calibration, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Hands-on Data analysis with FlowJo and ModFit software.
WHO? Who should attend?
- Those who wish to run their own samples on a flow cytometer
- Those who already run a flow cytometer but wish to have a better understanding of the technology and the data which is produced
- Those who plan to utilize this technology in the future
- Those who plan experiments and review/interpret data generated by this technology
WHEN? The Core facility will offer the course on a quarterly basis. The lecture is limited to 30 people per class; the lab will be limited to 16 people, two lab groups per training class. Scheduled class dates can be found here.
WHERE? Lectures locations will be announced by class date. Labs will be held in the Core facility, Room 2011, Jordan Hall, data analysis lab will be held in the computer lab of the Academic Computing in Health Sciences (ACHS) facility in the West Complex.
- Lecture only - $432.00/pp
- Lecture and Lab - $586.50/pp
- Applicants from outside UVa are charged a 54% surcharge
- Training Manual
- Continental Breakfast
- A certificate of satisfactory completion
- Coupon for two hours of free assisted or unassisted analytical services (UVa applicants only)
HOW? Interested individuals should complete the Flow Cytometry Training Course Application Form and submit it to Lesa Campbell, Box 80074, Jordan Hall Rm. 2011 at least two weeks in advance of the date requested. Applications will be approved on a first come first serve basis, with priority being given to UVa applicants and those with no prior flow experience.
- For more details on the training course click here