The Admissions Process:
Thank you for your interest in UVA! Applications open on July 5, 2012! Please apply early as we are on rolling admissions and will conduct the majority of our interviews prior to Winter Break.
NOTE: Your application may appear incomplete in our system. Please understand that your application is handled individually and reviewed carefully for completeness. This can take a few days. Thank you for your patience!
Please review the following for information on how to apply to the MSTP.
- 1 | Requirements
- Completion of a pre-medical undergraduate program from an U.S.-accredited university, including all prerequisites. For a detailed list, please see the UVA Admissions Site.
- MCAT scores. The School of Medicine accepts the most recent scores as your official score.
- We accept international students provided they have graduated or will graduate from a US/Canadian/United Kingdom accredited university.
- Stipend, tuition and benefits are guaranteed for approximately 8 years. Students on visas are also supported fully although it can be challenging to secure funding during graduate years due to NIH restrictions placed on internationals and training grant funds.
These characteristics in an applicant are ideal:
- Evidence of independent research experience and demonstrated commitment to biomedical research
- Completion of basic science course work beyond the minimum required for admission to Medical School, including advanced courses with a research focus
- An appreciation of the demands of a Medical Scientist Training Program.
- 2 | Apply to UVA School of Medicine
A note about APPLICATION DEADLINES: We are a rolling admissions program. We advise you to complete your application no later than December 1 but it is in your best interest to apply as early as possible. Applicants should apply to the University of Virginia School of Medicine through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), and all letters submitted through the AMCAS letters service. Once the UVA School of Medicine Admissions has received verification of your application, you will be prompted to complete the MD/PhD Supplemental Application. UVA MSTP will not consider your application until both portions are complete. *NOTE: You may see that your letters have been processed by AMCAS but your application with the MSTP will not appear as COMPLETE. This is normal. The system takes a few days to process all of the information.*
- 3 | Letters of Reference
- Because it is a rolling admissions process, applicants are encouraged to submit all materials as early in the season as possible!
- All letters of reference must be submitted through AMCAS by this deadline. Letters of reference should be written by those familiar with your research experience. Letters sent directly to us will not be considered.
- Your application will appear as Incomplete in the UVA Medical School Application system until it is processed by our office. "Incomplete" status is not cause for concern if you know all of your letters are in AMCAS.
- The MSTP Supplemental Application asks that you name two letters of recommendation (from your packet or submitted to AMCAS separately) that you would like us to pay particular attention to as we review your application.
- Many universities will submit your letters of reference as a single packet. This is perfectly acceptable. We can find the two "top priority" letters within the packet.
- 4 | Interviews
Your email invitation will indicate interview dates
- Applications are reviewed and emails will be sent to those requested for an interview, followed by a short phone conversation with the Director to review applicants' research interests
- Interview process takes 2 days on Thursday/Friday with arrival Wednesday evening and departure mid-early afternoon Friday. Accommodations are covered and travel costs up to $300 are reimbursed.