Women in Math and Science (WIMS)
Women in Math and Science (WIMS) is an organization which strives to provide support and guidance for female mathematicians and scientists at the University of Virginia; to create awareness of issues affecting career development and success; to centralize resources available for career and personal development; and to promote service outside of the University community for young scientists.
WIMS is involved in:
- Local Albemarle County elementary school outreach
- Habitat for Humanity
- Charlottesville Women's 4-miler participation to raise money for UVA Women's Breast Care Center
- Sponsoring career oriented events (Career Day, guest speakers during the year)
- Contributing to GSASC committees investigating issues for graduate students (i.e. Parental leave policy for grad students)
- Social events and fundraising (cool cups and t-shirts) to raise money for WIMS activities
WIMS is geared toward all graduate students in the math and sciences, and we encourage all interested parties to attend events!
Please see our new website for current information and upcoming events!