COMMENTS FROM PARTICIPANTS
For those of you who are interested in hearing what past participants have to say about the program, please see the comments from participants in the paragraphs below (students' names have been omitted due to confidentiality):
- At some point in our lives, we experience an event that changes the way we view the world, life, and even ourselves. Whether it is a change for the better or for worse, it somehow sheds light on who we are as individuals, as well as shape the individual that we strive to become. The program is one such experience. Not only did the program provide intensive preparation for medical school, it brought me closer to a dream. That is, it has helped me realize that my goal of becoming a physician is not as far-fetched as I once imagined. In fact, I believe that I am as close as I have ever been to making my dream come true.
- The most important thing I will take with me is the feeling that people care. Never before have I felt so much encouragement from administrators and teachers. I can tell that everyone truly believes that we (students) will succeed if we continue to work hard. It feels great to know that there are people that are not only looking forward to our success but are helping us to achieve our dreams.
- I am aware now that there are many avenues to medical school and although there will always exist a prototypical way that most students choose, there is no one ideal way. What one person perceives as ideal may not be so to another person, for we are all different. As Dr. Roscoe Moore stated, "Being different doesn't make you inferior, nor does it make you superior; it simply makes you unique." I cannot find enough words to express my heartfelt appreciation for what this program has done for me and the sincerest gratitude to all the people that afforded me this wonderful opportunity. The strength in my conviction to pursue a career in medicine has been elevated to a new level. What once seemed like an unreachable dream has become a palpable goal.
- As a pre-med student, I was overwhelmed with the many tasks required to get where I am now. This program made the realities visible for me of the remaining tasks to prepare for embarking on an MD program. I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity to share in such a wonderful program.
- Through this program, I've realized that becoming a medical doctor will be an obstacle course, but with preparation, dedication, and determination, it can and will be accomplished. Thank you for such wonderful lifelong experiences!