• All applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of course work in an accredited in a U.S. or Canadian or United Kingdom college or university.
• Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. are eligible to apply provided they have completed at least 90 semester hours of coursework in a U.S. or Canadian college or university.
• We strongly prefer a bachelor's degree from those that have attended college in the U.S.
The University of Virginia School of Medicine no longer has required pre-requisite courses
We have no science or humanities requirements. However, it is recommended that students consider courses in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Human Behavior and Statistics as students find these courses to be helpful during medical school.
• The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required of all applicants. All applicants must present scores from tests taken no later than September 30th of the year prior to matriculation, and no earlier than April 1st of the three years prior to matriculation.
• Information regarding the MCAT and registration materials are available from premedical advisors or from MCAT Registration, phone: (202) 828-0690, http://www.aamc.org/.
• The University of Virginia will accept AP credit, provided your undergraduate institution awarded you credit towards graduation (not just exemptions) and those credits appear on your official transcript.
• If legal or criminal proceedings are filed against you prior to matriculation, or if you are the recipient of any institutional disciplinary action, it is your responsibility to inform the Admissions Office immediately. Additionally, all students must undergo a mandatory criminal background check as a condition of acceptance to the School of Medicine. See the full Criminal Background Check Policy here.