The NxGen Journal Club
The NxGen Journal Club meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 12-1pm in the Health Sciences Library rooms 1331/1333.
Register in advance at the Registration
- 2/13/13: van Boven, L., Loewenstein, G., Welch, E., Dunning, D. 2012. The illusion of courage in self-predictions: mispredicting one’s own behavior in embarrassing situations. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making 25:1-12
- 1/9/13: Lingard, L. 2006. Qualitive Research in the RIME Community Critical Reflections and Future Directions. Academic Medicine 82(10) S129-30
- 12/12/12: Mylopoulos, M., et al 2012. Renown Physicians' Perceptions of Expert Diagnostic Practice. Academic Medicine 87(10)
- 11/14/12: Wilkerson, L., et al 2007. Two Perspective on the Effects of a Curriculum Change: Student Experience and the United STates Medical Licensing Examination, Step 1. Academic Medicine 82(10) S117-20
- 10/10/12: Shepard, L. 2000. The Role of Assessment in a Learning Culture. Educational Researcher 29(7): 4-14
- 6/26/12: Durning, S. et al 2011. Viewing 'Strugglers' Through a Different Lense: How a Self-Regulated Learning Perspective Can Help Medical Educators with Assessment and Remediation. Academic Medicine 86(4): 488-95
- 5/22/12: Lee, Y.; Mann, K.; Blye, F. 2010. What Drives Students' Self-Directed Learning in a Hybrid PBL Curriculum. Advances in Health Sciences Education 15: 425-37
- 4/24/12: Ende, J. 1983. Feedback in Clinical Medical Education. Journal of the American Medical Association 250(6): 777-81
- 3/27/12: Kuger, J.; Dunning, D. 1999. Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognozing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 77(6): 1121-34
- 3/6/12: Lyss-Lerman, P. et al 2009. What Training is Needed in the Fourth Year off Medical School? Views of Residency Program Directors. Academic Medicine 84: 823-9. PMID: 19550170
- 2/28/12: Thompson, B. et al 2010. Medical Students' Perceptions of Their Teachers' and Their Own Cultural Competency: Implications of Education. Journal of General Internal Medicine 25(suppl) 91-4
- 2/14/12: Schmidmaier, R. et al 2011. Using Electronic Flashcards to Promote Learning in Medical Students: Retesting versus Restudying. Medical Education 45: 1101-10
- 1/24/2012: Chou, C. et al 2011. A 'Safe Space' for Learning and Reflection: One School's Design for Continuity With a Peer Group Across Clinical Clerkships. Academic Medicine 86(12) 1560-5
- 1/10/2012: Novak, S. et al 2011. A New Approach to Learning How to Teach: Medical Students as Instructional Designers. Medical Education Online DOI: 10.3402/meo.v16i0.7252
- 12/13/11: Berg, K. et al 2011. Medical Students' Self-Reported Empathy and Simulated Patients' Assessments of Student Empathy: An Analysis of Gender and Ethnicity. Academic Medicine 86(8) 984-8
- 11/8/11: Reese, C.; Monroux, L. 2011. "A Morning Since Eight of Just Pure Grill": A Multischool Qualitative Study of Student Abuse. Academic Medicine 86(11) 1374-82
- 10/25/11: Kirch, D.; Boysen, P. 2010. Changing the Culture in Medical Education to Teach Patient Safety. Health Affairs 29(9) 1600-4.
- 10/11/11: Klatt, E.; Klatt, C. 2011. How Much is Too Much Reading for Medical Students? Assigned Reading and Reading Rates at One Medical School. Academic Medicine 86 1079-83
- 9/27/11: Mann, K. et al 2011. Tensions in Informed Self-Assessment: How the Desire for Feedback and Reticence to Collect and Use It Can Conflict. Academic Medicine 86 (9) 1120-27
- 9/13/11: MacLeod, A. 2011. Six Ways
Problem-Based Learning Can Sabotage Patient-Centered Medical
Education. Academic Medicine 86 (7) 818-25
- 8/23/11: Wenrich, M. et al 2010. Ready or Not?
Expectations of Faculty and Medical Students for Clinical Skills
Preparation for Clerkships. Medical Education Online
- 8/9/11: Parmelee, D. et al 2009. Medical Students'
Attitudes about Team-Based Learning in a Pre-Clinical Curriculum.
Medical Education Online
- 7/26/11: Demaria, S. Jr., et al 2010. Adding Emotional
Stressors to Training in Simulated Cardiopulmonary Arrest Enhances
Participant Performance. Medical Education 44:1006-15
- 7/12/11: Special Presentation - Ideas from the 2011 IAMSE
- 6/28/11: Pohl, C., et al 2011. Peer Nominations as
Related to Academic Attainment, Empathy, Personality, and Special
Interest. Academic Medicine 86(6): 747-51
- 6/14/11: Deslauriers, L., et al 2011. Improved Learning in
a Large-Enrollment Physics Class. Science 332(6031) 862-4
- 5/24/11: Friedlander, M., et al 2011. What Can Medical
Education Learn from the Neurobiology of Learning? Academic
Medicine 86(4) 415-20.
- 5/10/11: Kerfoot, B. P., et al 2011. Online "Spaced
Education Progress-Testing" of Students to Confront Two Upcoming
Challenges to Medical Students. Academic Medicine 86(3):
- 4/12/11: Chretien, K., et al 2010. It's Your Own Risk: Medical Students' Perspectives on Online Professionalism. Academic Medicine 85(10): October Supplement AND MacDonald, J., Sangsu, S., Ellis, P. 2010. Privacy, Professionalism, and Facebook: A Dilemma for Young Doctors. Medical Education. 44(8): 805-13
- 3/8/11: Sambunjak, D., et al. 2006. Mentoring in
Academic Medicine. A Systematic Review. JAMA. 296(9) 1103-15.
Journal Club lead by special guest Bonnie M. Miller, MD.
- 2/22/11: White, C., Saini, S., Ross, P., Fantone, J., Lypson, M. 2011. Measurement of Interns' Ability to Engage Effectively in Practice-based Learning and Improvement. Journal Club lead by special guest Casey B. White, PhD.
- 2/8/11: Morrison, G., Goldfarb, S., and Lanken, P. 2010. Team Training of Medical Students in the 21st Century: Would Flexner Approve? Academic Medicine. 85(2): 254-9
- 1/25/11: Kruidering-Hall, M., et. al 2009. Teaching Feedback to First-year Medical Students: Long-term Skill Retention and Accuracy of Student Self-assessment. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 24(6): 721-72
- 1/11/11: Baernstein, A., et. al 2009. Learning
Professionalism: Perspectives of Preclinical Medical Students.
Academic Medicine. 84 (5): 574-581
- 12/14/10: Cook, D., et. al 2010. Computerized Virtual
Patients in Health Professions Education: A Systematic Review and
Meta-Analysis. Academic Medicine. 85(10): 1589-1602
- 11/23/10: Koles, P., et. al 2010. Impact of Team-Based
learning on Medical Students' Academic Performance.
- 10/26/10: Kerfoot, B., et. al 2007. Spaced education
improves the retention of clinical knowledge by medical students; a
randomized controlled trial. Medical Education. 41(1):23-31
- 10/12/10: Kroncke, KD. 2010. Computer-based Learning Versus Practical Course in Pre-clinical Education: Acceptance and Knowledge Retention. Medical Teacher.
- 9/14/10: Crouch, C.; Mazur, E. 2001. Peer Instruction: Ten Years of Experience and Results. Am. J. Phys. 69 (9), 970-977 -- Additional Reading: Mazur, E. 2009. Farewell, Lecture? SCIENCE. 323 (2)
- 8/24/10: McLachlan, John C. PhD; Finn, Gabrielle; Macnaughton, Jane
MB, ChB, PhD 2009. The
Conscientiousness Index: A Novel Tool to Explore Students'
Professionalism. Academic Medicine. 84(5), 559-65
- 8/10/10: Wayne, N., et. al 2010.
Gender Differences in Leadership Amongst First-Year Medical Students in
the Small-Group Setting.
Academic Medicine. 85(8):1276-81
- 7/23/10: Nofziger, A., et. al 2010. Impact of peer assessment on the professional development of medical students: a qualitative study. Academic Medicine. 85(1):140-7
- 7/13/2010: Koles, P., et. al 2005.
Active learning in a Year 2 pathology curriculum. Medical
Education, 39(10), p. 1045-1055.
- 6/22/10: Brawer JR, Lener M, Chalk C. 2009. Student
Perspectives on the Value of Lectures. JIAMSE 19(3):84-88
- 6/8/10: Perez KE, Strauss EA, Downey N, Galbraith A, Jeanne R, Cooper S. 2010. Does Displaying the Class Results Affect Student Discussion during Peer Instruction? CBE-Life Sciences Education 9(Summer 2010):133-140
- 5/25/10: Kumagai, AK, et. al 2008.
The Impact of Facilitation of Small-Group Discussions of Psychosocial
Topics in Medicine on Faculty Growth and Development. Academic
Medicine 83(10); 976-981
- 5/11/10: Willingham, DT. 2007.
Critical Thinking: Why Is It So Hard to Teach. American Educator
- 4/27/10: Searlie, NS, et. al. 2003. Team Learning in Medical Education: Initial Experiences at Ten Institutions. Academic Medicine 78(10); S55-S58.
- 4/13/10: White CB, Kumagai AK, Ross PT, Fantone JC. 2009. A qualitative exploration of how the conflict between the formal and informal curriculum influences student values and behaviors. Academic Medicine 84(5): 597-603
- 3/23/10: R.M. Harden & N. Stamper. What is a spiral curriculum?, Medical Teacher 1999, 21: 141-143
- 3/09/10: Woods N, Neville A, Levinson A, Howey E, Oczkowski W, Norman G. The Value of Basic Science in Clinical Diagnosis. Acad Med. 2006. 81 (10 Suppl); S124-S127
- 2/23/10: David M. Irby. Educational Continuity in Clinical Clerkships. N Engl J Med 356;8 (2007) AND David A. Hirsh, M.D., Barbara Ogur, M.D., George E. Thibault, M.D., and Malcolm Cox, M.D. "Continuity" as an Organizing Principle for Clinical Education Reform N Engl J Med 356;8: 858-866 (2007)
- 2/09/10: Harold Pashler, Mark McDaniel, Doug Rohrer, and Robert Bjork, Learning Styles:Concepts and Evidence Psychological Science in the Public Interest 9(3) 105 - 119. (2009)
- 1/26/10: White, CB. Smoothing out Transitions: How Pedagogy Influences Medical Students' Achievement of Self-Regulated Learning Goals, Advances in Health Sciences Education, v12 n3 p279-297 Aug 2007
- 01/12/10: Prince, M. Does Active Learning Work? A Review of the Research. Journal of Engineering Education 93: 223-231 (2004)
- 12/15/10: K. D. Tanner Talking to Learn: Why Biology Students Should Be Talking in Classrooms and How to Make It Happen. CBE Life Sci Educ 8, 89-94 (2009)
- 12/01/09: Miller et al. , Scientific Teaching in Practice, Science 2008: 322(5906), pp. 1329 - 1330