University of Virginia School of
Minutes – 09/23/11
Pediatric Conference Room, 4:00 p.m.
Present were: A quorum was present. Individual name list lost.
- Plans for the Ob/Gyn program at Bon Secours were reviewed by Dr.
Megan Bray, Ob/Gyn Clerkship director.
- The Curriculum Committee voted to allow the requirement for the
OB/GYN selective for the Class of 2013 to be dropped and 2 weeks of
elective time added to the Class of 2013 graduation requirement.
This request is due to the loss of 6 clerkship spots and a loss of elective sites at Roanoke and the limited availability of selectives here at UVA. This will also alleviate the strain on Ob/Gyn to offer electives to those students wishing to go into Ob/Gyn.
The Curriculum Committee committed to finding a way to include more Obstetrics and Gynecology in the NexGen integrated clerkship curriculum e.g. a possible 12-week block of Women's and Children's Health.
Clerkship Curriculum Design. (from 9/1/11)
A Committee has been formed to seek ways to enhance continuity and standardization throughout the clerkships. A proposed plan for Clerkship Organization that calls for 12-week integrated blocks of clerkships was distributed. The blocks would be:
1) 4 weeks General Surgery, 2 -2-week surgical subspecialties, and 2 weeks of PACM;
2) 4 weeks Psychiatric Medicine, 4 weeks Neurology, and 4 weeks Family Medicine;
3) 6 weeks of OBGYN and 6 weeks of Pediatrics;
4) 4 weeks of General Medicine, 4 weeks of AIM, 2 weeks of Geriatrics and 2 weeks Specialty Medicine.