Minutes 02.01.07

Minutes 02.01.07

University of Virginia School of  Medicine
Curriculum Committee
Minutes
02.01.07

Surgery Conference Room, 4:00 p.m.                       

Present (underlined) were: Reid Adams, Gretchen Arnold, Eve BargmannDaniel Becker, Robert Bloodgood,  Gene Corbett,  Wendy Golden, Donald Innes (Chair),  Howard Kutchai, Marcus Martin, Chris Peterson, Jerry Short, Bill WilsonDevin Mackay, Kavita  Sharma,  Debra Reed (secretary) 

  1. Clerkship Site Needs Assessment.  Bill Wilson reported to the Committee on the Clinical Medicine Committee's report to the Dean regarding future clerkship site needs.  About half of the clerkships could absorb an increase in students or students displaced if an outside clerkship site was lost.  OB/GYN, Peds, Psychiatry and Internal Medicine (on the in-patient service) are unable to accommodate an increase in the number of students or the loss of an outside site.  An opportunity may exist to collaborate with all medical schools in Virginia and to further develop relationships with community hospitals.

  2. Summer Medical Spanish.  A summer elective course in Medical Spanish has been proposed for fourth year students and some rising second-year students.   Numerous students have expressed interest in taking the course - an intermediate level Spanish course for those who already have a basic understanding of Spanish.  It would take place four evenings a week for four weeks in the summer and thus could be taken by students on a summer research elective.  The Committee believes the course would promote cultural competency although four weeks of Medical Spanish is not sufficient for competency in medical skills such as history taking.  An interpreter would still be necessary in most cases, but it might help the physician to better develop a working relationship with their Spanish speaking patients.  The program will require a budget of $5,400 per year to pay the stipend for the teacher.  The question of whether the tuition for this course would be part of a medical student's yearly tuition due to the timing in the summer will be further explored by Don Innes.  A student also taking the summer research elective would need to contact his elective supervisor prior to taking this course to avoid time commitment conflicts. The Curriculum Committee was strongly supportive if funding can be obtained.

  3. Nutrition Curriculum.  Don Innes initiated a group (Linda Fanning, Joe Krenitsky, Kate Willcutts, Selina Noramly, Diklar Makola, Cynthia Moore, Sherrie Walker, Ana Abad-Jorge, Carol Parrish, Gene Corbett, Jim Sutphen, and others) to examine nutrition in the four year curriculum of medical school.  The group had been asked to assess what is being taught regarding nutrition and after completing the assessment, to recommend ways to incorporate nutrition education into the current curriculum.  The assessment is in progress, the group has met with Selina Noramly of Biochemistry and other first and second year course directors.  They will be contacting clerkship directors, POM2 director Brian Wispelwey and others in the immediate future.  The group will meet with the Curriculum Committee in about a month to provide their recommendations. One early suggestion is to have a self-diet analysis as part of the Cells to Society Course with the results to be discussed in the Biochemistry Course.

  4. PoM1 Course Director.  An e-mail was sent to all clinical and basic science faculty seeking applicants for a new co-director of the PoM1 Course to replace John Gazewood, who is stepping down.  Some interest has been generated and meetings will be arranged for John Gazewood, Walt Davis and Chris Peterson to interview the candidates.

  5. Student evaluation uniformity.  The Committee discussed the student evaluation forms in the Clerkships.  The Clerkship Directors will be asked to review the evaluation form to assure a direct link to the SOM objectives. Any changes would need to be ready for the incoming class in May or if that proves impossible, for the beginning of the 2008 clerkship year.  John Jackson will work with the Clerkship directors to amend the web-based form.  The question of whether some questions could be eliminated for some clerkships and even some clerkship sites (i.e., specific inpatient questions where no inpatient duties are involved) was discussed - John Jackson will look into this.

  6. Clerkship Objectives.  Clearly delineated Clerkship objectives with links back to the SoM Objectives and to the evaluation of the student must be in place. The Committee will review these objectives on each Clerkship's website at a subsequent meeting and discuss ways to standardize. 

  7. Isabel.  Gretchen Arnold and Steve Borowitz will attend a meeting in February/March to update the Committee on the data management system, Isabel.

  8. Student ID Numbers.  John Jackson updated the Committee on plans to remove social security numbers as the student identifying number on all School of Medicine data.  Students will use the last five digits of their social security number on exams for the final exams of 06-07. Course directors will still need to submit grades for distribution using the student social security numbers for the remainder of the 06-07 year.   By the beginning of the 2007-08 year, a new form and software will be in place to accommodate use of the student's computing ID.

Donald Innes
dmr