University of Virginia School of
The Clerkship/Post Clerkship Committee met Monday, 3/25, at 5:00 pm in the Pediatric Conference Room.
Members present: Newberry, Cheng, Ham, Keeley, Schroen, Solorzano, Wilson, Innes, A, Innes D, Lieb, Knight, McDaniel
Guests: Kerrie Faust, Richard Wiggans
- Professionalism Objectives for Clerkships was approved by majority
- Pay for Teaching on the Clerkships
· The amount of money allocated to each clerkship is determined by the number of students and the number of weeks on the clerkship. Distribution to the appropriate faculty member is a work in progress. Some clerkships have been entering the data since last fall, some are just starting (new clerkships) · The goal for “pay for teaching” is to allocate the payment to the faculty member doing the teaching. This is straightforward for lectures, workshops and most scheduled activities. Rounds (as a surrogate for teaching in the inpatient setting) are a teaching activity (the coordinator needs to enter the Attending who is on service to match them up with the students assigned). · Activities such as teaching in the Operating Room or clinic can be more challenging to match up with the attending and with the student. 4 hour increments were suggested as a unit of time. The director should work with the coordinator and SOM finance to direct the flow of teaching funds to the faculty teaching the students. · Any funds allocated to the department for the clerkship which are in excess of the recorded activities will come to the department for distribution. That distribution “formula” should be guided by the clerkship director’s knowledge of faculty teaching effort. · Orientation by the Clerkship Director is put in Oasis but is not considered a teaching activity as it is a part of the expectations of the Director. If the director teaches on rounds, gives a workshop, etc. they would receive “pay” as would any other faculty member. · Please make sure that the CLK prefix is chosen for clerkship activities. · Summary of clerkship reports to date were distributed. The reports will be sent electronically to those clerkships not represented at the meeting.
- Curriculum Threads
· The learning objectives for the clerkships need review in order to document where in the clerkship certain topics are being covered. · There is an option in Oasis to add and track thread elements as teaching activities are added. · Karen Knight will send the Information Mastery thread language so that Clerkships can map where that content is within the clerkship.
- Telemedicine capability for away site clerkship will be available
in May 2013. Please Contact John Jackson if clerkship wishes to utilize
this method of contact with the students.
- Progress of clerkships with regard to learning objectives, learning
materials and assessment was discussed. Please contact James Martindale
to review assessments.
- Clerkship calendar for class of 2016 was distributed.
- Post Clerkship Report
|·||Class of 2013 Match Results discussed|
|·||Class of 2014-most are preparing for Step II, some are doing electives|
|·||Class of 2014 requirements: one Advanced Clinical Elective (ACE), 2 medicine selectives, one psychiatric selective|
|·||Class of 2015: proposed: one ACE, pilot of a quality improvement requirement (for some of the class), an educational elective requirement and intern preparation course (post match)|
Next scheduled Meetings: 5 PM in Pediatric Conference Room
April 22, 2013
May 27, 2013
June 24, 2013
July 22, 2013
August 26, 2013
September 23, 213
October 28, 2013
November 25, 203
December 23, 2013
Additional Meeting called for April 8 For Clerkship Directors only. 5:00 PM In Pediatric Conference Room.
Nancy McDaniel, M.D.