University of Virginia School of Medicine
Clinical Medicine Committee
Attending: Drs. Plautz, Bray, Newberry, Short, Ham, Wilson, Lieb, Chapin, Ben Bradenham, Lisa Herrmann
- The meeting was called to order at 5 PM. The new Mulholland Society President (Lisa Herrmann) and the chair of the Student Medical Education Committee (SMEC) were introduced.
- Darci Lieb provided an update on the Basic Sciences for Careers sessions. In general, the individual sessions were well-received and well-reviewed by the students. These evaluations will be made available to the instructors soon.
- The "key word" item score analysis that is provided by the NBME with each set of shelf exam scores was mentioned. Review of this information over time may be helpful in identifying gaps in the clerkship curricula. The possibility of sharing the shelf exam score data among clerkships was discussed. This information is reported to Student Affairs and to individual clerkships, but hasn't been summarized and shared in the past.
- Dr. Short asked the committee about the characteristics that the clerkships would like to see in medical students when they present to the clerkships. Several members mentioned that "ownership" of their medical education by students and an initiative to learn as adult learners would be important. The clerkship directors present felt that students were generally prepared in terms of their clinical skills, and that further skills are learned on the individual clerkships. Instilling an attitude that promoted individual initiative in learning would be helpful.
- Ms. Chapin reviewed the most recent CPX exam. All students passed. The lowest 4 students in the class were offered retesting and coaching, as were the remainder of the group. None of the lowest-performing students participated in coaching and retesting, but 4 other members of the class did.
- The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 PM.
William G. Wilson, MD
Chair, Clinical Medicine Committee