Adventures in Medical Education for a Healthy Community
Mini-Med School is a program offered by the University of Virginia that brings an abridged version of medical school to participating community members. The program is open to high school students, UVa faculty and staff members, community members, and anyone else who would like to learn more about the medical profession.
During the 7 week program enthusiastic UVa faculty members, with assistance from current medical students, will lead the group in exploration of a wide range of topics in medical education. Participants will experience such integral parts of medical school as match day, research labs, patient interviews, and more. Mini-Med will provide a behind the scenes look at the training of those we entrust with our health, a greater sense of health literacy, and forge new connections between the health system and our community. Mini-Med will also feature entertainment provided by our talented medical students. There is no cost to participate and while participants will not leave Mini-Med School with a medical degree they will leave with knowledge, resources, and a certificate of attendance.
University of Virginia Mini-Med School
1. Provide an engaging and behind the scenes look at the education and training of future physicians.
2. Promote greater individual health literacy and improved understanding of healthcare delivery.
3. Increase awareness of the services the UVa Health System offers and our mission in our community.
4. Encourage future collaboration with individuals and community organizations.
5. Discover the impact of biomedical science and research and clinical trials on the evolving healthcare environment.