Prevent Childhood Poisoning
Children act fast...so do poisons! Keep little ones safe with these tips:
- Use child-resistant containers whenever possible.
- Remember: there is no such thing as child-PROOF. Lock all medicines and household products out of the sight and reach of children...even when using child-resistant packaging.
- Take your own medicine where children can’t watch. They learn by imitating you.
- Don’t call medicine “candy.”
- Read the label on all medicines and products. Follow the instructions exactly.
- Use the measuring devices that come with medicines. Don’t guess—be sure!
- Teach children to ask before touching or tasting anything they find on their own.
- Don’t give oral cough & cold medicines to a child younger than 2 without a doctor’s approval.
- Keep the poison center number near every phone: 1-800-222-1222. Call anytime of the day or night if you have a question or need help. Specially trained healthcare professionals will tell you exactly what to do. Free and confidential.