There is a single Program Director, Paul Read, M.D., PhD, with
authority and accountability for the operation of the program. He is a
member of the staff of the sponsoring institution with privileges at
one of the integrated participating institution (AH). He must:
- Organize the activities of the educational program. This
includes selecting and supervising the teaching faculty and other
program personnel and monitoring appropriate resident supervision and
assessing the radiation oncology physicians annually.
- Prepare an accurate statistical and narrative description of the
program as requested by the RRC as well as update annually the program
and resident records through the ACGME Accreditation Data System
- Promptly notify the executive director of the RRC using the ADS of
a change in program director or department chair. The RRC must be
notified if there is a change in faculty, the number of residency
positions offered changes, if there is a change in institutional
affiliations, major new equipment, or a proposed change in the format
of the educational program.
- Ensure the compliance with institution GME regulations and
implementation of fair policies and procedures, as established by the
UVA GME office, to address resident grievances and due process in
compliance with UVA policy. The director will serve as a member of the
UVA GME committee.
- Monitor resident well being including resident stress, mental or
emotional conditions inhibiting performance or learning, and drug or
alcohol related dysfunction. If deemed appropriate the resident will be
offered confidential counseling and psychological support services. The
director will provide semi-annual resident evaluations and verify the
accuracy of the resident patient logs.
- Chair the Radiation Oncology Residency Curriculum Committee that is
responsible for the Residency Program Assessment and Oversight.
- Be responsible for the oversight and compliance of the resident
recruitment and selection process.
- Maintain other duties as outlined in the Residency
An Associate Program Director will assist in these responsibilities
but the Program Director is ultimately responsible for all aspects of
the residency program.