The Division of Perceptual Studies
-Thomas Jefferson (1814)
Information about the Division of Perceptual Studies
The Division of Perceptual Studies (DOPS), formerly the Division of Personality Studies, is a unit of the Department of Psychiatry & Neurobehavioral Sciences at the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, VA. The Division of Perceptual Studies (DOPS) was founded as a research unit of the Department of Psychiatric Medicine at UVA by Dr. Ian Stevenson in 1967. (see History and Description for more information about the founding of DOPS).
Utilizing scientific methods, the researchers within The Division of Perceptual Studies investigate apparent paranormal phenomena, especially:
Children Who Claim to Remember Previous Lives (reincarnation)
Read an article about the research being done here at DOPS in the January/February 2014 edition of The Atlantic magazine. The article is by Jake Flanagin.
UVA Alumni Magazine, winter 2013, Read the article which focuses on the research of Children Who Claim to Remember Previous Lives being conducted by Dr. Jim B. Tucker. Click here to read "The Science of Reincarnation: UVA psychiatrist Jim Tucker investigates children's claims of past lives" by Sean Lyons.
Videos on the topic of Reincarnation Research:
Watch a video of Dr. Jim Tucker describing a young boy who has memories of a previous life in which he was his own grandfather. In this video, Dr. Tucker discusses his own research as well as the research conducted by the esteemed founder of DOPS, the late Dr. Ian Stevenson. Click here to view the video.
Radio Interviews on the topic of Reincarnation Research:
- Listen to Dr. Jim Tucker on NPR Weekend Edition, January 5th, 2014. Dr. Tucker was interviewed by Rachel Martin in the segment titled: "Searching for the Science Behind Reincarnation".
- Listen to Dr. Jim Tucker describe some of the findings, including unusual play, behavior patterns, specific phobias, and birthmarks or birth defects specifically related to the life and death of a previous personality. He discusses the interpretation of the data and details about the methodology as well as possible pitfalls of individual cases. This interview was conducted by Dean Radin Ph.D. on December 8, 2010. This interview was done for the IONS Telseminars series. Dean Radin is well known for his best selling books The Conscious Universe (HarperOne, 1997) and Entangled Minds (Simon & Schuster, 2006). Dr. Radin is currently Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) and Adjunct Faculty in the Department of Psychology at Sonoma State University.
- Dr. Tucker appeared on the syndicated NPR, Wisconsin Public Radio program "To the Best of Our Knowledge" in November of 2005 to discuss his book and research in the area of reincarnation. Follow this link to hear Dr. Tucker in segment two of the program entitled The Meaning of Life: In the Beginning.
- Read an article from the UVA Alumni Magazine, summer 2007 ,focusing on the research into Near-Death Experiences being conducted by Dr. Bruce Greyson. Click here to read "Altered States: Scientists analyze the near-death experience" by Lee Graves.
- Dr. Greyson presented the DOPS research on NDE's to His Holiness the Dalai Lama and to the monks of Dharamsala, December, 2011 at the conference titled Cosmology and Consciousness: A Dialog Between Buddhist Scholars and Scientists on Mind and Matter . Dr. Greyson's talk was titled, "Is Consciousness Produced by the Brain?" Click here to learn more about the conference and to view photos of Dr. Greyson presenting the DOPS research to His Holiness the Dalai Lama and to the monks of Dharamsala.
Video on the topic of Near Death Experience Research:
- Watch the video of Dr. Greyson's presentation "Is Consciousness Produced by the Brain?" which was presented to His Holiness the Dalai Lama and to the monks of Dharamsala, December, 2011 at the conference titled Cosmology and Consciousness: A Dialog Between Buddhist Scholars and Scientists on Mind and Matter.
- This video is an excerpt of a Nour Foundation panel discussion at the September 11, 2008 United Nations Symposium, "Beyond the Mind-Body Problem: New Paradigms in the Science of Consciousness," In this video, Dr. Bruce Greyson is discussing "Near Death Experiences-Beyond the Mind Body Problem". Click here to view the video.
Radio Interviews on the topic of Near Death Experiences:
- Listen to Dr. Bruce Greyson discussing how cumulative research into Near Death Experiences challenges both a classical physical view of reality and an exclusively neuroscience-based view of consciousness. This interview was conducted by Dean Radin Ph.D. on October 13, 2010. The interview was done for the IONS Teleseminars series. Dean Radin is well known for his best selling books The Conscious Universe (HarperOne, 1997) and Entangled Minds (Simon & Schuster, 2006). Dr. Radin is currently Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) and Adjunct Faculty in the Department of Psychology at Sonoma State University.
- Listen to Dr. Bruce Greyson discussing Near Death Experiences in an interview from November, 2006, hosted by Sarah McConnell on the award winning public radio program With Good Reason .
Other areas we are interested in studying at the Division of Perceptual Studies:
- Deathbed Visions
- Psychophysiological Studies of Altered States of Consciousness and Psi
- EEG Imaging Lab: Experimental Research of Psi Effects and Altered States of Consciousness
Recent books written by the DOPS research faculty
- Dr. Jim Tucker, in a follow-up to his book Life Before Life, explores American cases of young children who report specific memories of previous lives. Dr. Tucker has interviewed a number of extraordinary children with memories of past lives. Return to Life focuses mostly on American cases, presenting each family's story and describing his investigation into the cases. His goal is to determine what happened-what the child has said, how the parents have reacted, whether the child's statements match the life of a particular deceased person, and whether the child could have learned such information through normal means. Dr. Tucker has found cases that provide persuasive evidence that some children do, in fact, possess memories of previous lives.
- To find out more about this book and other aspects of Dr. Tucker's research follow this link to his website .
- Dr. Tucker's new book Return to Life is now available. Follow this link to order the book.
- Ian Stevenson was a prominent and internationally-known psychiatrist, researcher, prolific author, and well-regarded figure in the field of psychical research. Science, the Self, and Survival after Death: Selected Writings of Ian Stevenson is the first book devoted to surveying the entirety of his work and the extraordinary scope and variety of his research. He studied universal questions that cut to the core of a person’s identity: What is consciousness? How did we become the unique individuals that we are? Do we survive in some form after death? Stevenson’s writings on the nature of science and the mind-body relationship, as well as his empirical research, demonstrate his strongly held belief that the methods of science can be applied successfully to such humanly vital questions. Featuring a selection of his papers and excerpts from his books, this collection presents the larger context of Stevenson’s work and illustrates the issues and questions that guided him throughout his career. Our esteemed colleague, Emily Williams Kelly, is the editor of this collection of Dr. Stevenson's writing.
- Click here to view the Table of Contents. Follow this link to buy the book.
- The Handbook of Near-Death Experience: Thirty Years of Investigation In this book, DOPS researchers Bruce Greyson, Carlos Alvarado, Nancy Zingrone, Edward F. Kelly, and Emily Williams Kelly as well as many other notable researchers in the field of near-death experiences share the history and current state of near-death experience research and knowledge. They explore controversies in the field, offer specific accounts of NDE's from the research, and express their hopes for the future of investigation into this fascinating phenomenon. The book is edited by Janice Miner Holden, Bruce Greyson, and Debbie James.
- Click here for a list of other publications by Dr. Bruce Greyson as listed on Google Scholar. Also, see our DOPS Publications Page for pdfs of articles by Dr. Greyson and our other esteemed DOPS research colleagues.
- Follow this link to buy the book.
Edward F. Kelly, Emily Williams Kelly, Adam Crabtree, Alan Gauld, Michael Grosso, and Bruce Greyson have co-authored Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century . Current mainstream scientific opinion holds that all aspects of human mind and consciousness are generated by physical processes occurring in the brain. This book demonstrates with empirical evidence that this reductive materialism is not only incomplete but false.
Click this link to see the paper Empirical Challenges to Conventional Mind-Brain Theory written by Edward F. Kelly and Emily Williams Kelly. This is an excellent digest of the main empirical arguments contained in their book Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century .
Follow this link to buy the book.
- Dr. Jim Tucker is the author of Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives, which is a review of our research with children who report memories of previous lives written for the general public.
- A review of this book appeared in the Journal of Scientific Exploration , 19 (4), 2005 , by Harvard Biologist Michael Levin. Read the review.
- Follow this link to
An important autobiographical lecture given by Dr. Ian Stevenson in 1989.
An essay by Dr. Ian Stevenson as it appeared in
the Journal of Scientific Exploration, vol. 20 (1) Spring , 2006.