Myelography or Cisternography in Neuroradiology
- A request for the procedure is required. Fax# is (434)-243-6999
- Send a recent history and physical explaining the reason for the exam with the request
- Hold food beginning 3 hours before procedure time. Encourage clear hydration fluids until time of the procedure.
- Is the patient allergic to iodinated contrast? If the answer is yes, premedications must be ordered.
- Hold these contraindicated medications for 48 hours prior and 24 hours post procedure
- Bring medications to hospital the day of the procedure.
- Is the patient on Coumadin? The usual pattern is to discontinue the Coumadin three days prior to the procedure and to have the patient arrive one-and-one-half hours early the day of the procedure to have additional lab work (PT) done.
- Does the patient weigh more than 300 pounds? The table limit is 300 pounds.
- Have the patient bring MRI studies with them, along with any recent x-rays.
- The patient should make arrangements to have someone drive them home after the procedure.
- Cisternography only: Will the patient need to receive Fluorescein for the procedure? If YES, please indicate so on the requisition. Will the patient need to be seen in the ENT clinic later that day?
- The average length of time the patient spends at the hospital is approximately an hour and a half.
If you have further questions!
Call the Neuroradiology department: (434)-982-3429