Rehabilitation Neuropsychology - UVA-HealthSouth
Not currently accepting applications.
The UVA-HS Rehabilitation Neuropsychology Fellowship is housed in the UVA-HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital under the direction of Dr. Scott Bender. The fellowship is primarily rehabilitation-based and involves both inpatient evaluation and consultation and outpatient assessment.
The UVA-HS Rehabilitation Neuropsychology Fellowship Program is based jointly within the Departments of Psychiatry & Neurobehavioral Sciences and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. It exists alongside the Medical Psychology Fellowship Program, which is the longstanding home to several fellowships. The fellowship is designed to provide trainees with the experience required for state licensure and to meet American Board of Clinical Neuropsychology (ABCN) certification eligibility requirements for the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) Diploma in Clinical Neuropsychology. The fellowship is also designed to train fellows to become competent, independent practitioners in their own labs or rehabilitation settings.
The fellowship at UVA-HS involves two settings: The primary setting is a 52-bed acute and post-acute, neurologic and medical rehabilitation hospital. The second setting is an outpatient Neurocognitive Assessment Lab (NCAL) at UVA, both of which are located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Charlottesville, Virginia. Under the supervision of 5 clinical neuropsychologists, fellows provide inpatient consultative service to treatment teams within the hospital and the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Typically, 80% of a fellow's time is committed to the inpatient neuropsychology service and 20% to outpatient assessment. Daily activities include bedside MSEs, competency evaluations, and diagnostic consultation. Fellows interact with multiple treatment disciplines, guide treatment decisions, and are valued participants in treatment teams. Fellows also conduct comprehensive outpatient evaluations in response to consultation from all over the hospital. The fellow can expect to gain experience in a wide spectrum of injuries and conditions, including closed and penetrating head injuries, cerebrovascular diseases and accidents, infections (e. g., HIV), movement disorders, neoplastic disease, seizure disorders, spinal cord injuries and substance abuse. Recognizing and evaluating features of neurologic and neuropsychological syndromes (e.g., Anton’s, Korsakoff’s, apraxia, abulia) as part of differential diagnosis is an integral part of training. Report writing, communication with referral sources, rehabilitation team consultation, feedback sessions with patients, treatment planning and exposure to the complexities of managed care contacts and billing are all part of this educational experience.
Clinical Focus (70%)
- UVA Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital - post-acute inpatient neuropsychological consultation.
- Neurocognitive Assessment Lab, UVA Health System - outpatient neuropsychological services
Educational & Professional Development (20%)
- Neuropathology Lab (Brain Cutting)
- Observation of Neurosurgery and/or organ transplantation
- Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Grand Rounds
- Neuropsychology Fellows' Seminar, Neuropsychology Journal Club
- Monthly Psychology Fellows Meeting
Research Focus (10% or less)
- Opportunities may exist for development of original research in an area of rehabilitation neuropsychology in which the fellow has a particular interest.
- Opportunities may also exist for participation in ongoing research projects in mild, moderate, and severe traumatic brain injury; sports concussions; epilepsy surgery; sleep disturbances; pulmonary dysfunction and lung transplantation; cerebrovascular disorder; cognitive deficits in substance abuse; rehabilitation strategies; clinical trials and neuroimaging studies.
UVaHS Neuropsychology Service
- Scott D. Bender, Ph.D., ABPP-Cn
- Anthony De Marco, Psy.D.
UVA Affiliated Faculty
- Jeffrey T. Barth, Ph.D., ABPP-Cn
- Donna K. Broshek, Ph.D.
- Jason R. Freeman, Ph.D.
- Carolyn Sherer, Psy.D.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR REHABILITATION NEUROPSYCHOLOGY UVA-HS:
Not currently accepting applications
All applicants must register for the APPCN match at www.natmatch.com/appcnmat
As an APPCN member program, this residency site agrees to abide by the APPCN policy that no person at this facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any resident applicant. __________________________________________________________________________________
DIRECT INQUIRIES AND MATERIALS TO:
Scott D. Bender, Ph.D., ABPP-Cn
Neurocognitive Assessment Lab
University of Virginia Health System
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0203