PMR SCI Rehab Rotation
PM&R Residency Program Manual
PM&R Resident Rotation Descriptions
PM&R Inpatient Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Service – Dr. Alan P. Alfano
On this rotation PM&R residents will learn how to effectively function as a physiatrist in an inpatient rehabilitation setting working with the spinal cord injured population. They will learn how to perform individualized admission evaluations, day-to-day inpatient management techniques and team leadership skills. Appropriate physical assessment skills for the major inpatient rehabilitation categories will be attained. Residents will participate in appropriate committees and staff education. They will understand and carry out the appropriate discharge process including the preparation of Discharge Summaries. They will participate in and learn leadership skills for family education sessions. Proper interpretation and cost-effective usage of diagnostic and laboratory testing will also be covered.
- To understand the anatomy and physiology of spinal cord injury.
- To be able to care for individuals who have sustained a spinal cord injury. Including acquiring the skill and knowledge to address common medical problems and complications encountered in this population.
- To acquire the skills necessary to be a rehabilitation team leader in a spinal cord injury rehabilitation setting.
- To specifically become familiar with proper interpretation of diagnostic testing in this population.
- Rehabilitation prescription writing for the spinal cord injured individual.
- Prescription writing for SCI patients who are ventilator dependent. Understanding the special needs of this population.
- Prevention of common complications and proper management. Including bladder, bowel, vascular, respiratory and psychological sequelae.
- Current diagnosis and treatment of DVT, autonomic dysreflexia and pain after SCI.
- Understanding and application of ASIA standards in the diagnosis, rehabilitation and research of individuals with SCI.
- Participate in discharge planning, patient follow-up, seating clinic and SCI clinic during the rotation.