Tim McMurry, Ph.D.
Dr. McMurry is a biostatistician who received his Ph.D. in mathematics from University of California, San Diego. His work now focuses on surgical outcomes, the statistics of biomechanical injury, and the development of nonparametric statistical methods, including bootstrap and smoothing procedures. He has experience with SEER-Medicare, the National Cancer Database, and the NASS-CDS and CIREN automotive crash databases. In addition Dr. McMurry teaches the biostatistics sequence for the Department of Public Health Science’s Master’s programs.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
P.O. Box 800717
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0717
OMS Room 3875
Statistics of biomechanical injury, surgical outcomes, nonparametric statistics, statistical consulting.
PHS 7000, Biostatistics I; PHS 7001, Biostatistics II
T. McMurry, D. Politis (2014) iosmooth: Functions for smoothing with infinite order flat-top kernels. R package version 0.91.
- T. McMurry, C. Sherwood, G. Poplin, M. Seguí-Gómez, J. Crandall. Implications of functional capacity loss and fatality for vehicle safety prioritization. To appear in Traffic Injury Prevention.
- T. McMurry, Y. Hu, E. Blackstone, B. Kozower. Propensity scores: methods, considerations, and applications in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. To appear in Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- M. Meyer, T. McMurry, D. Politis. Baxter's inequality for triangular arrays. To appear in Mathematical Methods of Statistics.
- L. Archbald-Pannone, T. McMurry, C. Warren, R. Guerrant. Delirium and other clinical factors with Clostridium difficile infection that predict mortality in hospitalized patients. To appear in American Journal of Infection Control.
- J. Teng, T. Halbert, T. McMurry, P. Levine, J. Christophel. Histopathologic margin distance in survival in resection of cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck. To appear in The Laryngoscope.
- A. Ash, J. Ash, T. McMurry, A. Schwenk, B. Tenner. A balanced diplomacy tournament. To appear in Journal of Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing.
- F. Hauck, K. Tanabe, T. McMurry, R. Moon. Evaluation of Bedtime Basics for Babies: a national crib distribution program to reduce the risk of sleep-related sudden infant deaths. Journal of Community Health, 40:457–463, 2015.
- R. Thiele, K. Rea , F. Turrentine, C. Friel, T. Hassinger, B. Goudreau, B. Umapathi, I. Kron, R. Sawyer, T. Hedrick, T. McMurry. Standardization of care: impact of an enhanced recovery protocol on length of stay, complications, and direct costs after colorectal surgery. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 220(4):443–445, 2015.
- T. McMurry, D. Politis. High-dimensional autocovariance matrices and optimal linear prediction (with discussion). Electronic Journal of Statistics, 9:753–822, 2015. (paper, rejoinder, R code)
- T. McMurry, G. Poplin. Statistical considerations in the development of injury risk functions. Traffic Injury Prevention, 16(6):618–626, 2015.
- G. Poplin, T. McMurry, J. Forman, T. Hartka, G. Park, G. Shaw, J. Shin, H. Kim, and J. Crandall. Nature and etiology of hollow-organ abdominal injuries in frontal crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 78:51–57, 2015.
- Y. Hu, T. McMurry, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Readmission following lung cancer resection is associated with a six-fold increase in 90-day postoperative mortality. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 148(5):2261–2267.e1, 2014.
- L. Pastore, T. McMurry, C. Williams, V. Baker, S.Young. AMH in women with diminished ovarian reserve: potential differences by FMR1 CGG repeat level. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 31(10):1295–1301, 2014.
- D. Walters, T. McMurry, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Understanding Mortality as a Quality Indicator Following Esophagectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 98:506–512, 2014.
- S. Chapman, P. Mehndiratta, M. Johansen, T. McMurry, K. Johnston, A. Southerland. Current perspectives on the use of intravenous recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) for treatment of acute ischemic stroke. Vascular Health and Risk Management, 10:75–87, 2014.
- B. Naik, D. Colquhoun, W. McKinney, A. Smith, B. Titus, T. McMurry, J. Raphael, M. Durieux. Incidence and risk factors for acute kidney injury after spine surgery using the RIFLE classification. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 20(5):505–511, 2014.
- Y. Hu, T. McMurry, K. Wells, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. 30 day mortality underestimates true risk of death following lung cancer resection. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 97(3):973–979, 2014.
- G. Politis, S. Stemland, R. Balireddy, J. Brockhaus, K. Hughes, M. Goins, T. McMurry. Propofol for pediatric tracheal intubation with deep anesthesia during sevoflurane induction: dosing according to elapsed time for two age groups. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, 26(1):25–35, 2014.
- J. Liao, T. McMurry, and A. Berg. Prior robust empirical Bayes inference for large scale data by conditioning on rank with application to microarray data. Biostatistics, 15(1):60–73, 2014.
- D. Colquhoun, L. Dunn, T. McMurry, R. Thiele. The relationship between the area of peripherally-derived pressure volume loops and systemic vascular resistance. Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, 27(6):689–696, 2013.
- J. Christophel, A. Johnson, T. McMurry, S. Park, P. Levine. Predicting positive margins in resection of cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck. The Laryngoscope, 123(3):683–688, 2013.
- T. McMurry, D. Politis, and J. Romano. Subsampling inference with K populations and a nonstandard Behrens-Fisher problem. International Statistical Review, 80(1):149–175, 2012.
- M. Amezziane and T. McMurry. Bandwidth selection for adaptive density estimators. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics, 6(1-2):29–46, 2012.
- T. McMurry and D. Politis. Banded and tapered estimates for autocovariance matrices and the linear process bootstrap. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 31:471–482, 2010. Corrigendum, J. Time Ser. Anal., 33, 2012. (paper, corrigendum)
- A. Berg, T. McMurry, D. Politis. Testing time series linearity: traditional and bootstrap methods. Handbook of Statistics, Volume 30: Time Series Analysis, (T. Subba Rao et al., Eds.), Elsevier, North Holland, 2012.
- A. Berg, T. McMurry, and D. Politis. Subsampling p-values. Statistics and Probability Letters, 80:1358-1364, 2010.
- B. Kim, T. McMurry, W. Zhao, R. Wu, and A. Berg. Wavelet-based functional clustering for patterns of high-dimensional dynamic gene expression. Journal of Computational Biology, 17(8):1067-1080, 2010.
- N. Li, T. McMurry, A. Berg, Z. Wang, S. Berceili, and R. Wu. Functional clustering of periodic transcriptional profiles through ARMA(p,q). PLoS ONE, 5(4), 2010.
- T. McMurry and D. Politis. Resampling methods for functional data. The Oxford Handbook of Functional Data Analysis (F. Ferraty and Y. Romain, Eds.), Oxford University Press, 2010.
- T. McMurry and D. Politis. Bootstrap confidence intervals in nonparametric regression with built-in bias correction. Statistics and Probability Letters, 78:2463-2469, 2008.
- T. McMurry and D. Politis. Minimally biased nonparametric regression and autoregression. RevStat – Statistical Journal, 6(2):123-150, 2008.
- L. Parker, et al. Investigating quantitation of phosphorylation using MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 43(4):518-527, 2008.
- T. McMurry and D. Politis. Nonparametric regression with infinite order flat-top kernels. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, 16(3-4):549-562, 2004. (paper)