Carolyn L. Engelhard, M.P.A.
M.P.A., Public Administration, University of Virginia, 1988
P.O. Box 800717
Health System West Complex Room 3897
Health policy analysis including: private and public health coverage; expenditures in the organization and financing of medical services; quality issues in health care; patient safety and medical errors; and changes in health workforce.
Ms. Engelhard’s academic activities include studying and monitoring changes in health policy at the federal and state governmental levels and teaching in both the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine. In 2007, Ms. Engelhard co-authored a book looking at the myths surrounding the U.S. health care system. In 2009, Ms. Engelhard completed a project in conjunction with the nonpartisan Urban Institute examining the use of public policies to reduce obesity. More recently, Ms. Engelhard co-authored an article in the New England Journal of Medicine examining health insurance premium rating regulation under the new health care reform bill, and completed a book chapter examining the future health workforce needs in the U.S.
- PHS 710, Health Policy and Management (2x/year)
- HES 720, Health Policy, Organization, and Administration (administrative assistance to Ed Howell)
- GME Certificate Program, Health Policy Module GME Elective and Ambulatory Seminar Series, Internal Medicine residency program (all year) GME health policy elective for 2nd and 3rd year internal medicine residents
Board member (Chair 2011-13(, Charlottesville Free Clinic Member, Community Service Committee (UVAHC) Advisory board member, MTPCI Program (UVASOM)
Assistant Professor Health Policy Analyst Director, Health Policy Program
3. Engelhard, C. (2005). “Health Policy and the “New” Ownership Society: Echoes of the Past.” Biolaw, Vol. 7, 2005.
4. Garson A., and Engelhard C. (2007). “Attacking Obesity.” Viewpoint, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Vol. 49(16):1673-1675.
5. Engelhard C. and Garson A. (2007). “In the Shadow of Cost Containment: Americans, Affordability, and Health Reform.” American Heart Hospital, Vol 5(1, Winter):6-9.
6. Engelhard C. (2007). THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE?: A Review of President Bush’s Health Insurance Proposal. Biolaw, Spring.
1. Henretta, M.S., J.M. Scalici, C.L. Engelhard, L.R. Duska (2011). The Revolving Door: Hospital Readmission of Gynecologic Oncology Patients. (submitted)
2. Mills A., Engelhard C., Tereskerz P. (2010). Truth and Consequences: Insurance Premium Rate Regulation and the PPACA. NEJM, on-line web first on July 22, 2010.
3. Engelhard, C.L. (2010). The End of the Beginning: health Care Reform and the National Agenda. University of Virginia Journal of Medicine, October.
4. Garson, A., C. Engelhard, and J. Lewin (2010). Our Physicians and Our Profession Must Lead in Improving Our Health Care System, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Vol. 55(20).
5. Engelhard, C., A. Garson, and S. Dorn (2010). Reducing Obesity: Policy Strategies from the Tobacco Wars, abstracted version. Methodist DeBakey Cardiovascular Journal, Vol. 5(4):46-50.
12. Engelhard, C., A. Garson, and S. Dorn (2009). Reducing Obesity: Policy Strategies from the Tobacco Wars. Urban Institute Health Policy Paper, published June 2009.
Engelhard C. (2007). THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE?: A Review of President Bush’s Health Insurance Proposal. Biolaw, Spring.
1. Garson, A and C. Engelhard (2007). “Health Care Half-Truths: Too Many Myths, Not Enough Reality.” Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.