As a first-year resident, during your one-month experience in pediatric surgery, you will:
- Gain an understanding of basic embryology, normal development, and common congenital anomalies
- Understand the normal physiology of children of different ages
- Evaluate patients and formulate treatment plans for pediatric surgical conditions, trauma victims and critically ill patients
- Participate in daily ward rounds, evaluate admitted patients and consults
- Participate in operative cases as an assistant or observer
- Attend pediatric surgery outpatient clinics
During this rotation, you will be on call every fourth night.