Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Each year you will spend at least one month as part of the team serving in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or the Intermediate Care Nursery.
As primary physician, you will gain significant experience in the management of complex newborn problems in the NICU, which features:
- Thirty-one beds, approximately 500 admissions per year
- A hospital-based, neonatal ground/air transport system supporting thirty community hospitals
- State-of-the-art neonatology, including ECMO
- High frequency oscillation
- A full spectrum of cardiac surgery, including heart transplant.
During this rotation, you will be on call every fourth night. Second-year residents will also be on NICU cross-cover during their rotation in the Transitional Nursery.