UVA Newborn Nursery & ICN
The Newborn Nursery rotation is divided between the "regular" newborn nursery (8th floor) and the "transitional nursery/ICN" (in the "D Pod" area of the NICU on 7 East).Students will spend one week in each setting, although some of the rounds will be held in common.
On Day 1 of the nursery rotation, report to the Newborn Nursery on the 8th floor at 8 AM for your assignments. The timing of attending rounds and work rounds will vary with the location and attending. Students are expected to follow the courses of the babies assigned to them. Presentations of these cases are required on rounds. Frequently, the attending will assign miscellaneous topics for presentation and discussion on rounds or for short presentations to the team.
- Students are expected to read the Newborn Nursery orientation handout prior to working in the Newborn Nursery.
- Please watch the Welcome to the Newborn Nursery Orientation Video, prior to starting.
- Getting to Know You/Rounding Sheet
- Students are expected to help with the admission and discharge
physical examinations and to learn how to discuss their findings with
parents. Students are encouraged to take every opportunity to
attend both routine deliveries and C-sections. They should be
familiar with the history of the pregnancy, labor, and delivery for
- Students are expected to come in on weekends, but they may divide
weekend responsibilities after checking with the attending (e.g., 2
students may cover Saturday with the other 2 students coming in on
- Students are reminded to wear their name tags on their hospital gowns and to identify themselves to the parents in L&D, 8 Central, the NBN, and the NICU. Only nurses are allowed to transport the newborns in and out of their mother’s rooms.