Mandell Lab Research Opportunities
Associate Professor of Pathology (Neuropathology)
Laboratory Interests: Molecular signals involved in
the triggering and maintenance of astrogliosis, the ubiquitous reaction
of astrocytes to neural damage.
- Conditional knockout approaches to study roles of ERK and p38 MAP kinase pathways in astrogliosis.
- Functional interactions of MAP kinases with the astrocyte intermediate filament cytoskeleton
- Dynamic imaging of glial cell motility in in vivo models of injury
- Investigation of novel tissue biomarkers for diagnosis of astrocytomas, including applications of phosphorylation state-specific antibodies
What you will learn on this rotation:
Methods: Primary mouse neural cell culture, cDNA transfection, basic protein biochemistry methods, immunofluorescence microscopy, mouse transgenic colony maintenance, PCR genotyping, mouse brain anatomy and histology, immunohistochemistry.
- The complexity of astrocyte responses to brain injury and neural damage.
- Functional relationships of astrocytes and other brain cells
- The interplay of diagnostic neuropathology and bench research on glial cell biology.