Dennis J. Templeton,
Application of stress inhibitory compounds as adjuvant cancer
therapeutic agents. I am also developing means by which tumors of
individual patients can be categorized as responsive or resistant to
growth inhibition by stress-inducing therapies.
My work focuses on the intracellular mechanisms of signal
transduction, particularly those that transmit signals originating with
physical stress and inflammatory cytokines.
- Yan M, Dai T, Deak JC, Kyriakis JM, Zon LI, Woodgett JR and
Templeton DJ. (1994) Activation of stress-activated
protein kinase by MEKK1 phosphorylation of its activator SEK1.
Nature 372: 798-800. (482)
- Mahalingam M, Templeton DJ. Constitutive
activation of S6 kinase 1 by deletion of amino-terminal autoinhibitory
and rapamycin sensitivity domains. Mol Cell
Biol, 1996. 16(1):405-13.
- Deak JC, Templeton DJ. Regulation of the activity
of MEK kinase 1(MEKK1) by autophosphorylation within the kinase
activation domain. Biochem J, 1997.
- Natoli G, Costanzo A, Ianni A, Templeton DJ,
Woodgett J, Balsano C, and Levrero M. (1997) Activation of SAPK/JNK by
TNF Receptor 1 through a noncytotoxic TRAF2-dependent pathway.
Science 275: 200-203. (172)
- Deak JC, Cross JV, Lewis M, Qian Y, Parrott LA, Distelhorst CW, and
Templeton DJ. (1998) Fas-induced proteolytic
activation and intracellular redistribution of the stress-signaling
kinase MEKK1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:
- Parrott LA and Templeton DJ. (1999) Osmotic stress
inhibits p70/85 S6 kinase through activation of a protein phosphatase.
J Biol Chem 274: 24731-6. (4)
- Cross JV, Deak JC, Rich EA, Qian Y, Lewis M, Parrott LA, Mochida K,
Gustafson D, Vande Pol S, and Templeton DJ. (1999)
Quinone reductase inhibitors block SAPK/JNK and NFkappaB pathways and
potentiate apoptosis. J Biol Chem 274:
- Goss VL, et al. SAPK/JNK regulates cdc2/cyclin B kinase through
phosphorylation and inhibition of
cdc25c. Cell Signal , 2003.
15(7): p. 709-18.
- Seanor KL, et al. Reactive Quinones Differentially Regulate
SAPK/JNK and p38/mHOG Stress Kinases. Antioxid
Redox Signal , 2003. 5(1): p.
- Cross JV, Templeton DJ. Oxidative stress
inhibits MEKK1 by site-specific glutathionylation in the ATP binding
domain. Biochem J , 2004. PMID: 15139
- Cross JV, Templeton DJ. Thiol Oxidation of
Cell Signaling Proteins: Controlling an Apoptotic
Equilibrium. J Cell Bochem, 2004 (in
A more complete list of Dr.
Templeton's publications can be obtained from