John Savory, Ph.D.
John Savory, Ph.D. Faculty Profile
John Savory, Ph.D.
Professor and Director of Clinical Chemistry,
Toxicology and Core Laboratories
Applications of robotics and computers to consolidated core laboratories and to remote monitoring of automated satellite laboratories. Clinical investigations of trace metal measurements in renal and neurodegenerative diseases. Development of clinical laboratory tests for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease.
Studies of basic mechanisms of Alzheimer's disease using aluminum-induced neurodegeneration in aged rabbits to produce Alzheimer's-like changes in immediate early gene expression, oxidative stress, apoptosis and intraneuronal tau aggregation. Reversal of this process by chelation treatment and studies of other therapeutic approaches to neurodegenerative changes. Techniques used are quantitative immunohistochemistry, immunoblot analysis and in situ hybridization.
- Ghribi O, DeWitt DA, Forbes MS, Herman MM, Savory J. Co-involvement of mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum in regulation of apoptosis: changes in cytochrome c, Bcl-2 and Bax in the hippocampus of aluminum-treated rabbits. Brain Res. 2001;903:66-73.
- Ghribi O, Herman MM, Savory J. The endoplasmic reticulum is the main site for caspase-3 activation following aluminum-induced neurotoxicity in rabbit hippocampus. Neuroscience Letters, 324: 217-221, 2002.
- Ghribi O, Herman MM, Savory J. Lithium inhibits aluminum-induced apoptosis in rabbit hippocampus, by preventing cytochrome c translocation, Bcl-2 release, Bax elevation and caspase-3 activation. J Neurochem. 82: 137-145, 2002.
- Savory J, Ghribi O, Herman MM. Is amyloid -peptide neurotoxic or neuroprotective and what is its role in the binding of metal ions? Neurobiol Aging. 23: 1089-1092, 2002.
- Ghribi O, Herman MM and Savory J. Lithium inhibits A -induced stress in endoplasmic reticulum of rabbit hippocampus but does not prevent oxidative damage and tau phosphorylation. J Neurosci Res 71: 853-862, 2003.
- Savory J. Obituary, F. William Sunderman MD, PhD (1898-2003). Clinical Chemistry 49: 235-1237, 2003.
- Ghribi O, Herman MM, Pramoonjago P and Savory J. MPP+ induces the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in rabbit brain involving activation of the ATF-6 and NF-kappaB signaling pathways. J Neuropathol and Exp Neurol. 62: 1144-1153, 2003.
- Ghribi O, Pramoonjago P, Herman MM and Savory J. Abeta(1-42)-induced JNK and ERK activation in rabbit hippocampus is differentially regulated by lithium but is not involved in the phosphorylation of tau. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 119: 201-206, 2003.
- Ghribi O, Herman MM, Pramoonjago P, Spaulding NK and Savory J. GDNF regulates the A -induced endoplasmic reticulum stress response in rabbit hippocampus by inhibiting the activation of gadd 153 and the JNK and ERK kinases. Neurobiology of Disease 16: 417-427, 2004.
- Griffioen KJ, Ghribi O, Fox N, Savory J and DeWitt DA. Aluminum Maltolate-Induced Toxicity in NT2 Cells Occurs Through Apoptosis and Includes Cytochrome c Release. NeuroToxicology 25: 859-867, 2004.