The Otology-Neurotology Division offers the
diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the temporal bone, related
structures and the auditory system.
- A full range of otologic procedures, from placement of ventilation
tubes in children's ears to removal of complex skull-based tumors.
hearing restoration program featuring our nationally known cochlear
implant program, which has been in operation since 1984, and our
inter-nationally recognized expertise in congenital aural atresia for
pediatric and adult patients.
- The Vestibular and Balance Center with a full range of diagnostic
equipment and rehabilitative services. Other centers include Hearing
Aid and Tinnitus/Hyperacusis.
- Associated basic science and applied science laboratories, which
focus on hair cell regeneration (restoration of hearing), implantable
devices, and meningitis-sensorineural hearing loss.
- A nine-station Temporal Bone Laboratory, with twice-yearly bone
dissection courses supported by the Lions of Virginia Hearing
- An outreach program in the Dominican Republic. Physicians, fellows,
residents, and nurses typically go twice a year, performing 20 – 25
surgeries on far-advanced chronic ear disease.
Faculty specialists include: