Vascular Neurology - Stroke
UVA offers a multi-disciplinary program for the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of all forms of stroke.
We treat both hemorrhagic and ischemic strokes, in the acute and recovery phases of care.
To achieve this, UVa has a team of caregivers- available for 24 hr / 7 day a week delivery of acute care to stroke victims.
This care includes the use of thrombolytics, devices and other interventional procedures. Some of these therapies were researched and tested at UVA and are now part of national treatment paradigms.
UVA has had a long history of designing and participating in cutting edge stroke clinical trials as a means of advancing the care of stroke.
We envision accelerating the pace and broadening the reach of our care for stroke patients through innovative strategies moving access to our vascular expertise into emergency medical services, partner hospitals, advanced telestroke systems, and community outreach. The University of Virginia will provide the fastest and most sophisticated stroke care regionally leveraging and expanding the acute stroke intervention team, advanced neuroimaging, stroke genetics and epidemiology, and growing stroke telemedicine catchment throughout the region.
- E. Clarke Haley, Jr., M.D., Division Head and Director, Stroke Center
- Karen C. Johnston, M.D., M.Sc.
- Nina J. Solenski, M.D.
- Andrew M. Southerland, M.D., M.Sc.
- Heather Turner, BSN, RN, Stroke Coordinator
- Bradford B. Worrall, M.D., M.Sc.
- Webster Crowley, M.D., Neurosurgery
- Avery J. Evans, M.D., Neuroradiology
- John Gaughen, M.D., Neuroradiology
- Mary E. Jensen, M.D., Neuroradiology
- Neal F. Kassell, M.D., Neurosurgery
- Kenneth Liu, M.D., Neurosurgery
- Sherita Chapman, M.D., Senior Fellow
- Prachi Mehndiratta, M.D., Junior Fellow
- Christina Chen, M.D., Future Fellow
- Amy Fansler, MPH, CCRC
- Coleen Harman, RN
- Stephanie Lowenhaupt, RN
- Claire McKinley, RN
- Valerie Odell, BS
Cervical Artery Dissection Gene Expression Study (CADEX)
Improving Treatment Times for Rapid Evaluation of Acute stroke via mobile Telemedicine (iTREAT)
Biorepository to Establish the Aetiology of Sionvenous Thrombosis (BEAST)
Brain and Abdominal Aneurysm Study (BAAS)