- You are expected to round with your assigned services each day that the service rounds, including the weekends. Absences from rounds must be requested from the Clerkship Director. Unexcused absences are reported and will results in grade decrements. If your team rounds on both weekend days, you may “split” a weekend, such that you come on either Saturday or on Sunday.
- On all services, you are expected to behave as a responsible, professional team member.
- As each service dictates, we want you to ask questions, participate in discussions, write chart notes, and assist in patient evaluation and care.
- When assigned patients to follow, you are expected to be knowledgeable about your patients, the progress of their care, and literature/general reading in relevant areas. You are expected to write appropriate daily notes on the patients you follow in the inpatient setting. Please advise your resident that you’ve placed notes for review and countersigning in chart.
- The faculty member and resident who will evaluate you for each two week block has been assigned. You can find a copy of the assignments in your notebook.
- On inpatient UVA services, you should be available on grounds by pager (i.e., in the hospital, library, student lounge, etc.) until 5:00 pm. Students not on call should still try to pick up at least one new patient each day, either by working up an “early” admission or by picking up a patient after morning rounds.
Outpatient Clinic Opportunities
- Students assigned to the outpatient specialty clinics at Fontaine have opportunities to observe neuropsychological testing, EMG testing, assist with the epilepsy clinic, and work in the child and adolescent clinics when they are not working with the subspecialty faculty in the movement disorders, multiple sclerosis, memory, and general clinics. They can observe the use of Botox A therapy for dystonia and chronic migraine headaches.
- Students assigned to the NOPU clinics can observe EMG testing and EEG testing and reading when they are not working with the NOPU attending faculty and residents.
- Students assigned to the pediatric neurology rotation will go with their faculty and residents to the outpatient pediatric neurology clinic at Fontaine.