Absences and Remediation
- E-mail is the required method of communication for all clerkship related issues, including requested absences. Please email KarenMarie Smith, the clerkship coordinator. She will forward the emails to the clerkship directors.
- All absences must be approved by the Neurology Clerkship Director in advance (except for family/personal emergencies).
- Requests for expected absences must be received no later than the first day of the clerkship. The Director reserves the right to refuse late requests.
- As soon as you know that you may need to be absent, it is your responsibility to contact, immediately, the Neurology Clerkship Director and Coordinator by e-mail. It is inappropriate and unprofessional to commit to an event or make travel commitments before receiving permission for that time off.
- ACLS training, Admissions Committee Meetings, Applicant Interviews and Tours, and Alumni Association functions are not excused reasons for absence from clerkship activities.
- If you have an unexpected illness or family/personal emergency, you must inform the Neurology Clerkship Director and the Coordinator, as well as the resident or attending on your assigned clinical team, as soon as possible.
Any absence will need to be made up on an equal time (day for day) basis. All requests for absences should include a plan for making up the missed time. Excessive absences may result in a grade of incomplete or repeating the entire clerkship.