The logistics and objectives of the ACE Program
- Obtain a detailed history from a patient with neurologic or potentially neurologic complaints
- Perform a detailed neurologic examination, focusing on the areas of the exam rendered most pertinent by the patients complaints and history
- Demonstrate the skills of clinical localization of lesions within the nervous system based on history and physical findings.
- Choose appropriate diagnostic tests for patients with neurological dysfunction and interpret the results.
- Provide succinct and accurate oral presentations and formulations for patients with neurologic conditions.
- Demonstrate the ability to generate an appropriate differential diagnosis and plan of care for patients with neurologic conditions
One externship position in Neurology is offered during each four-week rotation during the year. The extern, under supervision of a Neurology resident and attending, assumes responsibility for evaluation and daily care of hospitalized adult patients with neurological disorders. The extern participates in daily work and teaching rounds, takes night call with the resident (every 3rd or 4th night). The extern may attend all Department of Neurology conferences including Pediatric Neurology Conference, Neurological Grand Rounds, Neuroradiology Conference, brain cutting, Journal Clubs, Stroke Conference. On an individually arranged basis, the extern may participate in neurology outpatient experiences where s/he will encounter a wide variety of neurological problems seen in the office practice of neurology. There the extern examines selected new and return patients, reviews findings with a neurology resident and/or a member of the Neurology faculty, and assists in designing a plan of patient evaluation and therapy. Each student is assigned to at least one period of 24 continuous hours off, on average, per week. There will be night call, weekend rounds and weekend call. Visiting students should follow the directions in their acceptance email to schedule MIS and CARECAST training.