SIMPLE (Simulated Internal Medicine Patient Learning Experience) is an Internet-based virtual patient program for use by medical students during their internal medicine clerkship. (http://www.simplecases.org/)
Each clerkship is expected to identify patients or clinical activities that every medical student should encounter while on that clerkship. On the Medicine clerkship, we are using a combination of computer-based cases (SIMPLE cases), as well as a list of patient conditions that we expect every student to see while on the clerkship.
SIMPLE (Simulated Internal Medicine Patient Learning Experience) is an Internet-based virtual patient program for use by medical students during their internal medicine clerkship. SIMPLE's interactive virtual patient cases are designed to comprehensively cover the learning objectives of the CDIM-Society for General Internal Medicine (SGIM) Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine.
To register for SIMPLE, go to http://www.simplecases.org/ and follow the instructions. You will be provided with a login ID and a password. PLEASE USE YOUR UVA EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU LOGIN THE FIRST TIME. THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR PROGRESS TO BE RECORDED AND TRACKED, WHICH IS A REQUIREMENT.
UVA students on the Medicine clerkship are required to complete the cases listed below (please complete by case description and NOT by number)
- 1) 56-year-old man with chest pain
- 2) 60-year old woman with chest pain
- 3) 67-year-old woman with shortness of breath and lower-leg-swelling
- 4) 55-year-old man with fatigue
- 5) 45-year-old African-American with hypertension
- 6) 48-year-old woman with diarrhea and dizziness
- 7) 55-year-old man with lower abdominal pain
- 8) 65-year-old woman seen for annual physical
- 9) Pre-college physical for 18-year-old female
- 10) 28-year-old male with rash
- 11) 75-year-old man with memory problems
- 12) 42-year-old African-American woman with anemia
- 13) 48-year-old woman with HIV
- 14) 75-year-old woman with altered mental status
- 15) 58-year-old homeless man with altered mental status
- 16) 40-year-old make with knee pain
- 17) 49-year-old woman with confusion
- 18) 55-year-old with leg pain
We strongly recommend that you begin work on the SIMPLE cases early in the clerkship so that you will be able to complete them by the end of the clerkship. Please let Dr. Wispelwey (or Mrs. Ward) know if you have a problem registering for SIMPLE. Completion of these cases is required for successful completion of the Medicine clerkship. Dr. Wispelwey will be tracking your progress with the SIMPLE cases.