Salary and Benefits
Housestaff salaries are are competitive and based on the number of years of experience credited toward specialty board certification. Salaries and extensive information on benefits can be found on the site.
- Health, life, disability and professional liability insurance (fully paid by employer)
- Lab coats, scrubs and laundry service provided
- Meals provided when on-call
- Non-cash Benefit - All housestaff are provided $780.00 to use as reimbursement towards parking fees, intramural membership fees, and/or additional meals
- Access to Medline, UpToDate and MD Consult for literature searches at all Health System PCs including direct access at the bedside
- Free Internet access and E-mail; access to word processing, graphics, and database programs
- Unlimited Photocopying
- Housestaff lounge
- Discounted membership to the University Recreation facilities
Vacation & Time-Off
- Three weeks vacation yearly (not in one block)
- Interns get one extra week vacation at end of the first year
- Third-years get one extra week vacation over Christmas or New Year holidays
- Vacations are taken during ER and Ambulatory blocks for interns and during elective blocks for residents
- Days off are 1 in 7 during ward months, when averaged over a four week period
- Days off are variable on elective rotations, but no in-house call and most weekends off
Residents may attend one national Internal Medicine (ACP, SGIM, AFCR, etc.) or one regional scientific meeting during their third year of residency. Such meetings do not count as vacation time and are subsidized by the department.
Associate Membership in the American College of Physicians is paid for by the Department. This includes subscription to the bimonthly Annals of Internal Medicine.
One subscription to the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP) is provided to each resident during the second year of training.
For more information, please see the Graduation Medical Education site.