During the first afternoon of each rotation block the primary preceptor will be expected to meet with his/her assigned student(s) (preferably at their respective SNF sites).
The primary preceptor will do the following:
- Tour the facility with the student(s), orienting them to the locations of charts, other data repositories, therapy areas, available workspace/computers, places to store personal belongs, parking restrictions, etc.
- Introduce student(s) to key facility staff such as the DON, therapists, social workers, etc.
- Introduce student(s) to the patients they will be taking care of over the course of the rotation. You will have consented these patients (and/or their families where appropriate) beforehand.
- Discuss your student's personal goals and objectives for the rotation and how you will help him/her meet those goals.
Throughout the rotation the preceptor will:
- Discuss potential project ideas early in the rotation with an effort to incorporate the student's personal goals.
- Incorporate EBM and basic sciences into clinical teaching and workshops.
- Be proactive in assisting the student with the completion of the clinical skills requirement checklists.