Donald L. Kimpel, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Clinical Rheumatology
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Aurbach Medical Research Building
450 Ray C Hunt Drive
Fax: (434) 924-9578
Degree(s): M.A., M.D.
Graduate School: Indiana University
Medical School: Ohio State University
Research Interests: Role of autoantibodies in autoimmune disorders
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the most common form of inflammatory autoimmune arthritis, affecting approximately 1% of the population worldwide, and resulting in significant morbidity, shortened lifespan, and functional disability. Our laboratory utilizes genetic and induced animal models if arthritis to study 1) the endothelial expression of adhesion molecules, 2) the humoral factors involved (e.g. cytokines, nitric oxide), and 3) the characteristics of the inflammatory cells with particular attention to the T lymphocyte subsets which control chronic disease. We have a great interest in understanding the factors which modulate the T cells and the endothelial reactivity. To do this we utilize flow cytometry, intravital fluorescent videomicroscopy, PCR and other molecule methods, ELISA, and adoptive transfer of cell populations. We have identified pertinent T cell markers of lymphoid organs, characterized the time course of cytokine synthesis in acute and chronic disease, and identified some of the factors critical for cell adhesion to the vascular endothelium of synovial tissues. These investigations should allow us to identify and test important targets for new therapies of RA.
- D. L. Kimpel, Togasaki RK, and Miyachi S (1983) Carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: I. Localization. Plant and Cell Physiol. 24:255-25
- Spencer KG, Kimpel DL, Fisher ML, Togasaki RK and Miyachi S (1983) Carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: II. Requirements for carbonic anhydrase induction. Plant and Cell Physiol. 24:301-304
- D.L. Kimpel and Sagone AL (1984) Effects of mitomycin C on metabolism in a rat liver preparation. Bioch. Pharm. 33:3479-3484
- Satoh M, Kuwana M, Ogasawara T, Ajmani AK , Langdon JJ, Kimpel D.L. Kimpel, Wang J, Reeves WH (1994) Association of autoantibodies to topoisonmerase I and the phosphorylated (IIO) form of RNA polymerase II in Japanese scleroderma patients. J Immunol. 153:5838-5848
- D.L. Kimpel (1995) Carpal-metacarpal fracture following a bicycling accident. J. Musculoskel. Med. April 1995, 83-84
- Wang J, Dong X, Stojanov L, Kimpel DL, Satoh M, Reeves WH (1997) Human autoantibodies stabilize the quaternary structure of Ku antigen. Arthritis Rheum 40:1344-53
- Berney SM, Kimpel DL (1998) Using the laboratory when you suspect lupus. Journal of Respiratory Diseases 19(9):785-800
- Alexander JS, Dayton T, Davis C, Hill S, Jackson TH, Blaschuk O, Simons M, Okayama N, Kevil CG, Berney SM, Kimpel DL.(1998) Activated T lymphocytes express occludin; a component of tight junctions. Inflammation 22(6):573-582
- D. L. Kimpel (1999) Hip pain in a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine . November 1999;651-653.
- D.L. Kimpel, Hsiao G, Wolf R, Kimpel DL. Treatment of anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome with IVIg. (2001). J Clin Rheumatology 7(5):336-339.
- D.L. Kimpel, Berney SM, Schaan T, Wolf RE, Kimpel DL, van der Heyde H, Atkinson TP (2001). CD5 (OKT1) Augments CD3-mediated intracellular signaling events in human T lymphocytes. Inflammation 25(4): 215-221.
- D. L. Kimpel, Berney SM (2001) Lupus classification revised. Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine 18(12): 549.
- D. L. Kimpel, Pogue R, Natarajan K, Zauderer M, Hunt SW. Identification and characterization of a monoclonal population of Synovial Fluid T Cells from a patient with inflammatory arthritis. (Accepted with revisions, Journal of Immunology).
- D. L. Kimpel, Heldmann M. (2001) Thumb injury in a bicycle accident. J. Muskuloskeletal Medicine. June 2001: 337-338.
- D. L. Kimpel, Dayton T, Kannan K, Wolf RE. (2002). Streptococcal Cell Wall-Induced Arthritis: Kinetics of Immune Cell Activation in Inflammatory Arthritis. Clinical Immunology 105(3): 351-362.
- D. L. Kimpel, Dayton T, Kannan K, Wolf RE. (2003) Streptococcal Cell Wall-Induced Arthritis: Leukocyte activation in extra-articular lymphoid tissue. Inflammation 27(2): 59-70.
- D. L. Kimpel, Li J, Chang W-L, Sun G, Chen H-L, Specian RD, Berney SM, Kimpel D, Granger, DN, van der Heyde HC. (2003) ICAM-1 is necessary but not sufficient for the development of severe experimental malaria and is not required for leukocyte adhesion in the brain. J Investig Med. May;51(3):128-40.
- D. L. Kimpel, Sun G, Chang W-L, Li J, Berney SM, Kimpel D, van der Heyde HC. (2003) Inhibition of platelet adherence to brain microvasculature protects against severe Plasmodium berghei malaria. Infection and Immunity 71(11) 000-000.
- D. L. Kimpel, Dayton T, Fuseler J, Gray L, Kannan K, Wolf RE, Grisham M. (2003) Splenectomy attenuates Streptococcal Cell Wall-induced arthritis and alters leukocyte activation. Arthritis Rheum 48(12):3557-3567.
- D. L. Kimpel, Dayton T, Schaan T, Thompson TL, Kevil CB, Wolf RE, Berney SM, Alexander JS. Cadherin expression in rat T-Lymphocytes is induced by T cell receptor ligation (submitted).
- D. L. Kimpel., Langston W, Kimpel DL. A simple PCR method for screening for H2g7, the H-2 of non-obese diabetic mice. (Submitted)