Hospice & Palliative Medicine Fellowship
Welcome! The University of Virginia Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program provides a rich, one year clinical and research experience.
Fellows who complete our program will:
- Obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for patients and families facing life-threatening or life-limiting illnesses
- Learn the administrative skills needed to direct and manage a palliative care program or hospice organization
- Develop those practices which will foster life-long commitment to learning and practice improvement, including self-reflective practices
- Apply evidence-based practice to clinical care
- Develop excellent teaching skills
- Incorporate professional, interpersonal and communication skills essential to providing compassionate care to patients and families, to working within a multidisciplinary team, and to communicating with other professionals
Dedicated, board-certified faculty, a comprehensive curriculum, diverse settings, and strong institutional commitment to palliative medicine provide a unique training experience for those physicians wishing to become highly-skilled clinicians and leaders in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. At the completion of the fellowship, the fellow will be eligible for board certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine.