International Family Medicine Clinic
About the IFMC
The International Family Medicine Clinic (IFMC) was established in October 2002 through the University of Virginia (UVA) Department of Family Medicine in order to provide more comprehensive, timely, culturally sensitive, and high-quality health care to the growing immigrant and refugee populations in Central Virginia.
Our clinic offers full medical services to individuals of all ages in a comfortable atmosphere oriented around our patients’ health and emotional needs. We also provide mental health services by counselors who are coordinated by the Family Stress Clinic, and psychiatric services provided and coordinated by Dr. Richard Merkel. For limited English speaking patients, we have access to in-person and telephone interpreters.
Our clinic is located in the Family Medicine Center, on the first floor of the Primary Care Center at the University of Virginia Medical Center.
Fern R. Hauck, M.D., M.S. - Director of
Becky Compton, M.S.N., F.N.P.-C.
Reagan Thompson, D.N.P., F.N.P.-C
Kathleen Barry, M.D.
Kristina Johnson, M.D.
Peter MacArthur, M.D.
Sinthia Mannan, M.D.
Madhuri Saligrama, M.D.
Samira Zaman, M.D.
Directions to the UVA Medical Center
From East or West (via I-64):
Take exit 118B (US 29). Take the next exit (US 29 Business.) At end of ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue, which becomes Jefferson Park Avenue. Bear right at traffic light toward UVa Medical Center.
From South (via US 29):
Take US 29 Business exit just past the I-64 interchange. At end of ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue, which becomes Jefferson Park Avenue. Bear right at traffic light toward UVa Medical Center.
From North (via US 29):
Stay on US 29, which becomes Emmet Street. Follow Emmet Street, which becomes Jefferson Park Avenue, and bear left toward UVa Medical Center.
From Jefferson Park Avenue, turn onto Lee Street at the traffic light. Patients can park in the two garages across from the hospital and Primary Care Center. Parking tickets will be stamped at the time of registration to receive free parking.
We Are Prepared To...
- Care for new or chronic illnesses
- Treatment for cuts, sprains, and other injuries
- Pregnancy care and delivery of babies
- Care for babies and children
- Family planning information and services
- Preventive care and health maintenance services
- Employment physicals and treatment of worker’s compensation injuries
- School, camp, and sports physicals
- Care for women including Pap smears and mammograms
- Nursing services such as dressing changes and blood pressure checks
- Specialized care for senior citizens
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
8:00 AM -- 5:00 PM
10:00 AM -- 5:00 PM
- To schedule an appointment, please call (434) 924-5348 anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, or on Tuesday between 10:00 and 5:00 p.m. Ask to be seen in the International Family Medicine Clinic.
- If you are sick or need care sooner, please tell the receptionist so we can schedule you for an earlier appointment.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to register.
If You Do Not Speak English:
- Request that an interpreter for your native language be present at your appointment and indicate the language needed.
- Ask a family member or friend to call on your behalf.For emergency medical problems that arise throughout the week:
- Call (434) 924-5340 for daytime emergencies (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Call (434) 924-0000 for nighttime or weekend emergencies, or go to the UVA Emergency Department.