|Dr. Richard Cole
Patrick County Family Practice
18877 Jeb Stuart Highway
Stuart, VA 24171
| Preceptor Information: Dr. Richard Cole
- Special Interests:
- He enjoys football and is very involved with his children and church. Dr. Cole grew up in Stuart and is very committed to the community
- Dr. Cole is married to Astrid Cole and has 6 children. The oldest son is Christan, Lizelle, Justin, Scott, Austin and Ian (twins). All his sons play football and Christian played briefly for the Pittsburg Pirates.
- Time in Practice:
- Dr. Cole has been in practice since 1984. He began a solo practice in 1986 after working with an established practice for 2 years.
- Medical School:
- Dr. Cole did his undergraduate work at UVA and also earned his medical degree from UVA in 1981.
- He completed his residency training at East Carolina University in 1984 and served as Chief Resident.
- Board Certifications:
- He is certified by the American Board of Family Practice.
| Practice Information: Stuart--Patrick County Family Practice
- Description of Practice:
- Patrick County Family Practice serves most of Patrick County, VA and offers care for cardiovascular, pulmonary, gastro-intestinal, endocrine, rheumatic and psychiatric disorders. In addition, acute injuries, such as fractures, strains and cuts are also treated. Procedures done in the office include casting,thoracocentesis, pericardiocentesis, and minor skin procedures. The practice admits patients to the R.J. Reynolds Patrick County Memorial Hospital as well as serves the Blue Ridge Nursing Center and Landmark Nursing Center.
- Practice Staff:
- Dr. Richard Kramer, an OB/Gyn by training and Dr. Steven Griswold are the other two parners in the practice. Kimberly Compton and Rebecca Shuckley are PAs.
- Site Facilities:
- The clinic is located less than a mile from the hospital so most labs/x-rays, ultrasounds are done there.
Outpatient facilities provided at the practice include EKG, U/A, pulmonary function tests.
Inpatient care at the hospital is an important part of the practice.
- Stuart Area Facts:
- There are two of Virginia's covered bridges in the area. Chateau Morrisette is a nearby winery. The Blue Ridge Parkway is approximately 10 miles from Stuart.
- Directions to Practice:
- Take 29 South to Chatham.
Take lst Chatham exit - 57 to Martinsville
Follow signs to 58 West to Stuart, about 27 miles.
Just before entering Stuart come to the ER at the Patrick County Memorial Hospital left on Woodland Drive.
- Tips From Practice Doctors:
- Try to read about cases you see in the office.
Internet access is available through computers in office.
- Tips from Past Students:
- Dr. Cole will walk you through observing to seeing patients on your own, developing DDx and plans. He will also expose you to the business aspect of managing a private practice. Dr. Cole is extremely friendly.