1. Review site-specific information for your host
Make sure you have a clear understanding of what
your elective structure will look like. Check out the SLC elective in
Guatemala. There are several locations other
2. Contact Jill Clarke at the
school of medicine and make sure you clearly understand your School of
Medicine requirements for your overseas elective, including evaluation
You must register with the International Studies
Office (ISO) at UVA prior to departure. Use link below and register as
a graduate student. Contact your elective director if you have any
4. Contact UVA Student Health
and set up your REQUIRED pre-departure appointment. This is
mandatory. Please contact them online using link below and get
this done a minimum of two months prior to departure.
5. Sign up for medical evacuation
insurance. This is available from several
6. Arrange transportation logistics, in-country logistics and discuss
thoroughly with your elective director. Flight itinerary emailed to
elective director, please!
7. Arrange in-country logistics.
8. Complete essential Emergency
Information Card. You should make several copies of this and
distribute them among your luggage in case of theft. Also, you are
required to carry a copy with you at all times while in country.
Also save this on you internet account for emergency access.
Directions: The attached word document is a template of the ISO
Security Card. Complete the required information. Next print out the
card. The top box is the front of the card and the bottom is the back
of the card. After completed and printed, have the card laminated. Keep
the card with you at all times.
9. Register with U.S. Embassy (somewhat specific to
10. Site fee payment: If you are being assessed a site fee
contact your elective director for details on payment.
11. Make sure that emergency contact info is available to your
elective director, Jill Clarke, and your family. Make sure UVA has two
emergency contacts for you.
12. Complete the IRB proposal (if required).
13. Review/confirm scholarship and funding sources.