James H. Moak, MD, RDMS
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
- B.A. History, Yale University (1989)
- M.D. University of Mississippi (1999)
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center,
Oakland, Ca (2003)
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Resident and medical student education
- Diagnostic emergency ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided vascular access
- Evidence based medicine
- Clinical decision-making
- Chair, SAEM Ultrasound Interest Group, 2009-10
- Chair, SAEM Ultrasound Interest Group Fellowship Committee, 2010-11
- Member, ACEP Ultrasound Section Fellowship Curriculum Committee,
- Elected Member, Executive
Board for Ultrasound Fellowship Website (eusfellowships.com),
- Foreign languages (Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese)
- Music (Elvis, Al Green, Gypsy Kings)
- Sports (football, basketball, baseball)
- Swimming with my kids
- Moak JH*, Larese SR, Riordan JP, Sudhir A, Yan G. Training in Transvaginal Sonography Using Pelvic Ultrasound Simulators versus Live Models: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Acad Med July, 2014; 89(7):1063-1068. Cited 0 times, IF = 3.292, Ranking education and scientific disciplines 2 of 34, Ranking health care of sciences 7 of 83.
- Lewiss R*, Tayal V, Hoffmann B, Kendall J, Liteplo A, Moak JH, Panebianco N, Noble V. The Core Content of Clinical Ultrasonography Fellowship Training. Acad Emer Med. 2014; 21(4):456-461. Cited 0 times, IF = 1.757, Ranking emergency medicine 7 of 25. Dr. Moak authored the section on clinical ultrasonography training with non-emergency medicine specialties.
Moak JH, Rajkumar J, Woods WA. The Wire Is Really Easy to See (WIRES): Sonographic Visualization of the Guide Wire by Novices. Can J Emer Med [pending publication]
Moak JH, Silverberg B, Vaughan A. Ultrasound-Guided Hip Arthrocentesis In A Child With Hip Pain And Fever. West J Emer Med; [pending publication]
- Moak JH, Lyons ME, Lindsell CJ. Bedside renal ultrasound in the evaluation of suspected ureterolithiasis. Am J Emer Med 2012 Jan;30(1):218-21
- Moak JH, Lyons MS, Wright SW, Lindsell CJ. Needle and guidewire visualization in ultrasound-guided internal jugular vein cannulation. Am J Emer Med 2011: 29(4):432-6.
- Moak JH, Gaspari RJ, Raio CC, Hart KW, Lindsell CJ. Motivations, job procurement, and job satisfaction among current and former ultrasound fellows. Acad Emer Med 2010; 17(6):644-648.
Charlottesville, VA 22908
Phone: (434) 924-8485
Fax: (434) 924-4118