Pediatric Emergency Care
The Pediatric Emergency Department is a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to the care of pediatric patients (age 0-21 years). Staffed by Pediatric Emergency physicians and nurses, we see children and teens immediately and prioritize cases according to the level of the emergency. No matter how big or how small the emergency, we provide specialized treatment in a friendly, caring environment, 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week. It is the only dedicated facility of its type in Virginia.
The safety and security of our pediatric patients, as well as efficient service,are among our top concerns. The UVA Pediatric Emergency Department provides:
- Private screening rooms, separate from adult emergency patients
- Clean, safe waiting area, separate from adults, with video games and toys
- 24-hour-a-day security guards
- Equipment designed to fit children of all ages
- Innovative floor plan for efficient patient flow, diagnosis and treatment
- Full staff of pediatric sub specialist including anesthesiologists, intensivists, and surgeons available around the clock to provide consultation and highly specialized medical care return to top
Additional programs include:
When extremely painful procedures are performed, your child will be medicated so that anxiety can be reduced and pain eliminated. Some medications that we use can even reduce your child's memory of the experience.
- Child Abuse Evaluation
This program was developed to provide comprehensive state-of-the art evaluations for children who are suspected victims of sexual and/or physical abuse. UVA's Pediatric Emergency Department has a physician sexual abuse specialist and pediatric trained sexual assault nurse examiners who use specialized equipment for the evaluation of suspected sexual abuse of a child. Appointments are available for this sensitive, highly specialized evaluation.
Reach Out and Read Program
In an effort to encourage children to read, the Pediatric Emergency Department staff distributes and reads books to children ages 5 years and younger.
With their emphasis totally on the pediatric patient who is having an emergency, the medical expertise available to the community is noteworthy. return to top