Two residents are appointed each year by the Department of Dermatology. Only applicants who are willing to stay for the full three-year training period will be considered.
All applicants must complete a PGY-1 internship before starting their dermatology residency.
Residents are expected to participate and take leadership roles in conferences and teaching responsibilities. Dermatopathology is an essential part of the dermatology training program, and regular teaching sessions are conducted by the dermatopathologist.
Curriculum & Rotations
First and Second Year Residents
- responsible for inpatient and outpatient care
- complete inpatient consultations
Third Year Residents
- expected to have acquired a working knowledge of dermatology and appropriate skills in dermatologic surgical techniques
- responsible for patient care, and teaching and administrative duties
The Department of Dermatology annually sponsors residents to go to one of the following meetings/conferences:
Residents may also attend the following local meetings/conferences:
- D.C. Dermatology Meeting
- VA/Richmond-Tidewater Dermatology Meeting
- Medical College of Virginia (MCV) Speakers
Please see our Conference Schedule »