Global Health Initiatives
UVA Anesthesiology Travels the World
For most of the year, the attending physicians and residents in the Department of Anesthesiology provide anesthesia in the University of Virginia Health System, supported by sophisticated equipment and predictable supplies of drugs. For a few weeks a year, however, many of our faculty members set aside the creature comforts of Charlottesville and move their medical practices to locations around the globe. Often, residents are part of these trips, and sometimes, the trips are resident-initiated.
Human Resources for Health
The University of Virginia is one of a group of universities participating in Rwanda Human Resources for Health to build a sustainable health care delivery system in Rwanda. UVA is participating in the Anesthesiology and Surgery programs, and Marcel Durieux coordinates the Anesthesiology involvement. For the next seven years, anesthesiologists associated with the University of Virginia will work in Rwanda. Anesthesiologists from other institutions and from private practice will have short term appointments with UVA.
Marcel Durieux heads back to Rwanda
Marcel Durieux and Paul De Marco are off to Rwanda and you can read his always informative blog here. Expect cross cultural observations and adventures in nature, along with anesthesiology. And bees! Yes, Marcel is bringing the Rwandan beekeepers an American perspective and equipment.
Where in the world?
Funded by the Medical Student Summer Research Program and the Center for Global Health, three rising second year medical students from the University of Virginia spent seven weeks in Rwanda in the summer of 2013, working on assessing postoperative pain and instituting the Safe Surgery Checklist. Dahea Kim and Lye-Ching Wong shared their adventures via blogs (click on their names to visit their blogs). The third member of the team was Virginia Baker.
Global Health trips are cultural immersion experiences, and never limited strictly to medicine! Lye-Ching discovered traditional Rwandan dance and was welcomed into a troupe of dancers. Here they are performing at a wedding. Read the whole story on Lye-Ching's blog.
Recent UVA trips
- March, 2014: Marcel Durieux and resident Paul De Marco to Rwanda
with Human Resources for Health
- March, 2014: George Politis and resident Sam Jett to Mexico with
- February, 2014: Terry Yemen and resident Alison Jeziorski to India with Virginia Children's Connection
- September, 2013: Jeremy May, CRNA, in
South Sudan with Médecins Sans Frontières
(Doctors Without Borders).
- June, 2013: George Politis and resident Tim Eng in Myanmar
(Burma) with Operation Smile.
- April, 2013: Lyn Wells and Carl Lynch in Bolivia.
- March, 2013: Mohamed Tiouririne and resident Albert Ardon in Rwanda. Read their blog here.
- February, 2013: Mick Jaeger in Rwanda with Human Resources
- January, 2013: Marcel Durieux and resident Christina Hayhurst in Malawi. Read their blog here.
Other Global Initiatives
Over the years, our faculty members have developed strong relationships with international organizations and have returned to the same clinics over and over again. Often, residents accompany them, gaining invaluable experience with procedures, techniques, and challenges not often seen in the US.
Here are some of the faculty members who have made a commitment to global health and the programs they are working with
- Victor C. Baum, Frederic A. Berry Professor of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Professor of Pediatrics
- Marcel E. Durieux, Professor of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery
- Carl Lynch III, Professor of Anesthesiology
- George D. Politis, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics
- Terrance A. Yemen, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics
See what we're up to by becoming a friend of "Uva Anesthesia" on Facebook. You'll get notice when our blogs are updated and keep up with other department news.
Read our blogs
Get a sense of both the challenges and perks of international medicine. Our faculty and residents have been generous about sharing stories and pictures as they travel. A sampling:
Sept., 2013: Jeremy May prepares for South Sudan.
March, 2103: Mohammed and Albert in Rwanda.
January, 2013: Marcel and Christina in Malawi.
April, 2012, Marcel and Kristi in Rwanda.
September, 2011: Marcel and Diana in Tanzania.