Global Health Initiatives
UVA Anesthesiology Travels the World
For most of the year, the attending physicians and residents in the Department of Anesthesiology provide anesthesia in the University of Virginia Health System, supported by sophisticated equipment and predictable supplies of drugs. For a few weeks a year, however, many of our faculty members set aside the creature comforts of Charlottesville and move their medical practices to locations around the globe. Often, residents are part of these trips, and sometimes, the trips are resident-initiated.
Recent UVA trips
- April, 2013: Lyn Wells and Carl Lynch in Bolivia.
- March, 2013: Mohamed Tiouririne and resident Albert Ardon in Rwanda. Read their blog here.
- January, 2013: Marcel Durieux and resident Christina Hayhurst in Malawi. Read their blog here.
2012: George Politis with residents Matt Reynolds and Sabrina
Dhillon in India (Operation Smile).
- November, 2012: Randy Blank and Will Cox in Rwanda.
- September, 2012: Carl Lynch in Bolivia.
- May, 2012: George Politis with resident Rick Colquitt in India (Operation Smile).
- February, 2012: Vic Baum in Siberia
- August, 2011: Vic Baum in Egypt
- January 2011: Robin Hamill-Ruth in Guatemala
Human Resources for Health
The University of Virginia is one of a group of universities participating in Rwanda Human Resources for Health to build a sustainable health care delivery system in Rwanda. UVA is participating in the Anesthesiology and Surgery programs, and Marcel Durieux is coordinating the Anesthesiology involvement. For the next seven years, anesthesiologists associated with the University of Virginia will work in Rwanda. Anesthesiologists from other institutions and from private practice will have short term appointments with UVA.
Other Global Initiatives
Over the years, our faculty members have developed strong relationships with international organizations and have returned to the same clinics over and over again. Often, residents accompany them, gaining invaluable experience with procedures, techniques, and challenges not often seen in the US.
Here are some of the faculty members who have made a commitment to global health and the programs they are working with
- Victor C. Baum, Frederic A. Berry Professor of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Professor of Pediatrics
- Marcel E. Durieux, Professor of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery
- Carl Lynch III, Professor of Anesthesiology
- George D. Politis, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics
- Terrance A. Yemen, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics
Read more about our mission trips
Marcel Durieux is off to Malawi, and once again blogging!
In April, 2012, Dr. Durieux and Chief Resident Kristi Rose traveled to Rwanda and shared their experiences in a blog.
Dr. Durieux and resident Diana Lobo worked in Tanzania in September, 2011. Read their blog.
See what we're up to by becoming a friend of "Uva Anesthesia" on Facebook. You'll get notice when our blogs are updated and keep up with other department news.