Page with slideshow
The faculty of the Department of Microbiology at the University of Virginia conduct research focused on immunology, cell biology, bacterial and viral pathogenesis, and the molecular basis of cancer.
Our goal is not only to make inroads into understanding these complex problems, but also to train the next generation of young scientists.
As you look though this internet site, we hope that you will gain a sense of the vitality in our department, the excitement of our faculty and students for their research, and the collegial environment of the University of Virginia.
- 12/8 4:00 PM Dr. Joseph Ziegelbauer
"Functions of microRNAs expressed by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus"
- Kodi Ravichandran, PhD, Newly appointed Microbiology chair. Newly appointed Microbiology Chair [more]
- David Brautigan, PhD accepts invitation to serve as chairperson of the Molecular and Integrative Signal Transduction Study Section for Scientific Review at the NIH [more]
- Christopher Burns, PhD receives "Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Award" [ more]
- Appointment of Amy Bouton, PhD, Professor of Microbiology to the position of Associate Dean for Graduate and Medical Scientist Programs, effective July 1, 2010. [ more]
- Mike Stadnisky, Mike Brown's laboratory, has been selected for the Award for Excellence in Scholarship in the Sciences & Engineering.
- Amelia Hufford, Ravichandran Lab was selected by the Scientific Review Panel of the Lindau Council to be a participant of the 60th Interdisciplinary Meeting of Nobel Laureates.
- Stacey Park, Borna Mehrad Lab, receives 2010 Peach/Hungerford Award
- Derek Dube, Judy White Lab, receives the 2010 Robert R. Wagner Prize for Outstanding Research in Microbiology [ more detail about the students and the awards]