How to Invite a Speaker
Invite a Seminar Speaker:
Thank you for planning to host a MIC Seminar speaker. To make
things go smoothly for everyone, please follow the directions
- Check for open
dates (scrolling might be necessary to see the next semester)
- Provide open dates to speaker - arrange a tentative date - DO NOT
CONFIRM THE DATE and please check with seminar coordinator to ensure that
the date that appears to be open on the web site is not being held for
someone else. This will avoid double booking.
- Dates can be held tentatively, but please be sure to confirm one
date as soon as possible and release the others.
- After confirming a date with the speaker please e-mail full name,
credentials and institution - this is critical for posting info on the
- We will e-mail a Welcome letter and a Speaker information form to
the speaker (includes how to arrange for travel arrangements).
- Host will be cc'd on all communications.
- Kelly Bishop from TravelLeaders will be arranging the flights/hotel
and will communicate this information to the speaker.
- The host is responsible for taking care of the speaker
during the visit, including arranging the meeting schedules and
meals. (MIC will reimburse.)
- Hosts should stay in touch with the speaker to ensure he/she has
all the information they need to make their visit a smooth and pleasant
one. Our hotel, the Marriott is not providing a shuttle service to and
from the hotel/airport any longer. We can arrange for a taxi pickup.
- Student Lunch: The speaker will have lunch with a
group of students on the day of the presentation - usually at noon in
the Wagner room.
- After the seminar, the host is responsible for making sure that the
coffee cart is returned to the kitchen on the 7th floor.
- To allow prompt reimbursement of any expenses incurred by the
speaker during the visit, the host should remind the speaker to return
all travel receipts and boarding passes to Virginia Coffey (434-243-2821)
once they have returned home.
- A thank you letter will be sent to the speaker a couple of days
following the presentation, along with a reminder to send all receipts
and boarding passes.
- International Speakers: We need a copy of the
I-94 and picture page of the passport while the speaker is
here. The University has a very strict set of rules that we need
to follow so that the speaker can get a honorarium and
- You will get reimbursed for up to three faculty (personnel) to have
dinner with the speaker.
- The department is limited by the University and state as to
how much may be reimbursed and spent for meals. Dinner may not
exceed $65 inclusive of tax and gratuity per person. Excessive
amounts will not be reimbursable. The maximum reimbursement for
breakfast is $15 and lunch is $20 per person (tax and gratuity included
in those figures). Please see staff if you have any