Enhanced Security: July 1
New Plan to Enhance Security of Team Members, Patients and Visitors Begins July 1, 2014
As we launch our Be Safe initiative to make UVA Health System the safest place to receive care, we’re also implementing a new building security plan to enhance the safety of our team members, patients and visitors.
Right now, approximately 50 doors on the main Health System campus are unlocked during regular business hours. Beginning July 1, you will need a Health System ID badge to enter through most of these doors at all times.
The following entrances will remain unlocked during business hours:
- Emergency Department
- University Hospital lobby
- Primary Care Center
- Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center
- Front entrance to the West Complex
- Ophthalmology clinic entrance on West Main Street
- Front entrance of McLeod Hall
- First floor entrance of the Claude Moore Nursing Education Building
- Ground level entrance to the Jordan Hall Conference Center
- First floor main entrance to the Claude Moore Medical Education Building
A video intercom system will allow patients and visitors to enter the Clinical Department Wing, the Barringer Wing and the Hospital Drive entrance to McKim Hall.
If you already have a Health System ID, it will be automatically activated to allow you to access these entrances. Employees who have lost their ID badge can obtain a new badge at no cost from June 9-13 and June 23-27 at the Health System’s ID office, located adjacent to the West Complex entrance off Jefferson Park Avenue. On June 11 and June 25, the ID office will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. to accommodate employees on all shifts.
Please keep in mind:
- You must have an ID badge request form signed by an administrator for a new or a replacement badge.
- Lost badges cannot be reactivated, and any lost badges that are found must be returned to the ID office.
After July 1:
- If you have any problems accessing a door with your badge, please call the ID office at 982.4009. This phone number is also listed on the back of your badge.
- If you come to the Health System after regular business hours and do not have your badge, please enter through the Emergency Department. A security officer will give you a temporary paper badge that will not enable you to access locked doors. The temporary badge will cost $5.
- An alarm will sound if exterior doors are propped open or unauthorized entry is made.
If you have questions about the new security plan, please contact David Cornelius at 982.1620. Thank you for your assistance in enhancing the safety of the Health System.