2013 Endowed Chairs Honorees
On May 15, we honored our faculty who were elected to endowed chairs during this academic year with a ceremony in the Medical Education Building’s Learning Studio.
The holder of an endowed chair receives one of the most prestigious honors that can be bestowed on a University of Virginia faculty member. The highest levels of performance, and national and international recognition of that performance, are inherent guidelines for appointment of a chairholder. The institutional expectation of unquestionable excellence means that the person is deemed to have achieved the highest stature and exemplary accomplishment in a discipline or area of research, teaching, or clinical service as judged by an independent assessment of his or her peers.
Each the honorees received a captain’s chair with a plaque affixed bearing their name and the name of their endowed professorship. This year’s honorees include:
- James E. Casanova, PhD, Harrison Distinguished Teaching Professorship (Department of Cell Biology)
- Victor H. Engelhard, PhD, Harrison Distinguished Teaching Professorship (Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology, Beirne Carter Center for Immunology Research)
- Fern R. Hauck, MD, Spencer P. Bass, MD, Twenty-First Century Professorship in Family Medicine (Department of Family Medicine)
- C.D. Anthony Herndon, MD, John E. Cole Professorship in Urology (Department of Urology)
- Andra H. James, MD, MPH, John M. Nokes Professorship in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Christopher M. Kramer, MD, Ruth C. Heede Professorship in Cardiology (Departments of Radiology and Medicine)
- Maria-Beatriz S. Lopes, MD, PhD, Harrison Distinguished Teaching Professorship (Department of Pathology, Department of Neurological Surgery)
- Mary Faith Marshall, PhD, Emily Davie and Joseph S. Kornfeld Foundation Professorship in Biomedical Ethics (Department of Public Health Sciences, Center for Biomedical Ethics and Humanities, School of Nursing)
- Peter A. Netland, MD, PhD, Vernah Scott Moyston Professorship in Ophthalmology (Department of Ophthalmology)
- M. Norman Oliver, MD, Walter M. Seward Professorship in Family Medicine (Department of Family Medicine)
- Mitchell H. Rosner, MD, Henry B. Mulholland Professorship in Internal Medicine (Department of Medicine)
- Lois L. Shepherd, JD, Peter A. Wallenborn, Jr. and Dolly F. Wallenborn Professorship in BioMedical Ethics (Department of Public Health Sciences, Center for Biomedical Ethics and Humanities, School of Law)
- Robert A. Sinkin, MD, MPH, Charles I. Fuller, Jr., Professorship in Neonatology (Department of Pediatrics)
- Stuart S. Howards, MD, Hovey S. Dabney Eminent Scholar Professorship (Department of Urology)
- Christopher I. Shaffrey, MD, John A. Jane Professorship in Neurosurgery (Department of Neurological Surgery)
- Francis H. Shen, MD, Warren G. Stamp Professorship in Orthopaedic Surgery (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery)
Congratulations to all on these outstanding achievements!