Dean's Clinical Excellence Award
Award: $1,500 and a gift
Deadline: June 24, 2013
Purpose: Honors junior faculty demonstrating clinical excellence and exemplary service to patients.
Criteria: Although individual physicians may practice differently depending on personality, specialty, and location, there are certain characteristics common to most good practices and the best physicians excel in many or most of them:
- Esteemed by Colleagues and Referring Physicians: Is recognized for high quality care which incorporates state-of-the art practice management with ability to communicate clinical information in a timely manner.
- Shows Compassion: Exercises sensitivity to the individual patient’s situation and provides supporting and nurturing care to the human condition.
- Knows the Clinical Field: Is familiar with, understands, and uses the best, most rigorous information to shape his/her practice.
- Demonstrates High Skill Level: Has mastered and demonstrates facility in difficult technical procedures and can show that skill level influences patient outcomes.
- Is Innovative: Creates new approaches in delivering care, generates new techniques or extends previous knowledge into new areas or indications.
- Continually Improves Practice: Builds on existing knowledge and experience to continually monitor success of and improve practice.
- Is Accessible to Patients and Other Physicians: Responds to requests for service in a timely and efficient manner.
- Practices Efficiently: Uses time and resources well; patients are managed with minimal waits and few delays.
- Is Thorough and Complete: Uses care and appropriate deliberation in decision-making balancing appropriateness and efficiency.
- Practices Effective Medicine: Can demonstrate that practice patterns and behaviors have net positive outcomes on health status of patients.
- Exhibits Respect: Treats patients, colleagues, nurses, staff, students, trainees, family members, and coworkers with respect; values human dignity in all interactions.
- Manages Resources Well: Is mindful of priorities, costs and benefits of options for patient’s treatment.
- Shows Dedication to Patient Care: Is committed to high output and productivity in clinical activities.
- Involves Patients in Their Own Care: Helps patients maintain commitment and involvement in their care process by asking opinions and supporting self-reliance.
- Has a High Level of Personal Involvement: Displays a sense of personal commitment as an individual to the care and well being of patients.
- Practices Conscientiously: Takes responsibilities seriously; makes decisions based more on the needs of patients; takes the professional responsibilities of medicine seriously.
Who is eligible? Junior faculty, who have not received this award in the past three years, who have demonstrated exemplary patient service, and who a high level of clinical skill.
Selection Process: The President of the Clinical Staff will chair the selection committee that is comprised of the Vice President of the Clinical Staff, the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, and three previous recipients of this award (to be selected by the Senior Associate Dean).
The nomination packet should include the following:
An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A nominating letter not to exceed three pages
- A one-page summary which quantifies the nominees’ clinical activities; e.g., patient volumes, RVU generation relative to benchmarks
- Up to five letters of endorsement of which two should be from referring physicians or clinical services outside the UVa Health System including physician colleagues and/or other members of the clinical system, e.g., nurses
Please send an electronic copy of the nomination packet by June 24, 2013 to Ashley Ayers
Phone number: (434) 924-8497
Award Presentation: The award winners will be announced by the Dean. The Dean will notify each awardee’s Department Chair and the Dean’s Office will be responsible for appropriate publicity in University and non-University publications.
Clinical Excellence Award Recipients
2013 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients
Leslie J. Blackhall, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine
D. Nicole Deal, MD, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Traci L. Hedrick, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
Tracey L. Krupski, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Urology
2012 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients
Todd W. Bauer, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery
Amir A. Jazaeri, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Saher Sabri, MD, Assistant Professor of Radiology and Medical Imaging
Andrew Y. Wang, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
2011 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients
Joshua S. Barclay, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
Barrett H. Barnes, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Bradley W. Kesser, MD, Associate Professor of Otolaryngology
Carol A. Manning, PhD, Associate Professor of Neurology
Elisa R. Trowbridge, MD, Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
2010 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
Robert W. Battle, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine
Quanjun Cui, MD, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Deborah M. Henderson, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
Tracey R. Hoke, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Susan C. Modesitt, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Jason P. Sheehan, MD, PhD, Professor of Neurological Surgery
2009 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
Mark A. Russell, MD, Associate Professor of Dermatology
Noah S. Schenkman, MD, Associate Professor of Urology
Timothy M. Schmitt, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
2008 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
Christina M. Brenin, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
David R. Brenin, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
Howard P. Goodkin, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Neurology
Robin D. LeGallo, MD, Assistant Professor of Pathology
Dana L. Redick, MD, Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Mitchell H. Rosner, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine
2007 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
Noreen Crain, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Chris A. Ghaemmaghami, MD, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
Benjamin B. Peeler, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
James F. Reibel, MD, Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Vanessa M. Shami, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
2006 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
Jonathan M. Evans, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
Charles M. Friel, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery
Madeline B. Harrison, MD, Associate Professor of Neurology
Robert P. Wilder, MD, Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Jason Sheehan, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
2005 Clinical Excellence Award Recipients:
W. Jeffrey Elias, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurological Surgery
Nancy L. Harthun, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
Michel Kahaleh, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine
James Michael Mangrum, MD, Assistant Professor of Internal MedicineAnne M. Ranney, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics Department of Pediatrics