Administrator Book Club
The Administrator Book Club (ABC) provides administrators an opportunity to stay current with cutting edge leadership and management literature. The ABC is also a great networking opportunity as administrators from different departments discuss and learn new concepts together.
Current Book Selection
Switch: How to Change Things When CHange is Hard
by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
Switch asks the following question: Why is it so hard to make lasting changes in our companies, in our communities, and in our own lives? The primary obstacle, say the Heaths, is a conflict that's built into our brains. Psychologists have discovered that our minds are ruled by two different systems—the rational mind and the emotional mind—that compete for control. The rational mind wants a great beach body; the emotional mind wants that Oreo cookie. The rational mind wants to change something at work; the emotional mind loves the comfort of the existing routine. This tension can doom a change effort—but if it is overcome, change can come quickly.
In Switch, the Heaths show how everyday people—employees and managers, parents and nurses—have united both minds and, as a result, achieved dramatic results:
- The lowly medical interns who managed to defeat an entrenched, decades-old medical practice that was endangering patients.
- The home-organizing guru who developed a simple technique for overcoming the dread of housekeeping.
- The manager who transformed a lackadaisical customer-support team into service zealots by removing a standard tool of customer service.
In a compelling, story-driven narrative, the Heaths bring together decades of counterintuitive research in psychology, sociology, and other fields to shed new light on how we can effect transformative change. Switch shows that successful changes follow a pattern, a pattern you can use to make the changes that matter to you, whether your interest is in changing the world or changing your waistline.
Click the banner of past selections to view the ABC Reading List
Note: Book selections can be purchased for administrators provided they remain in and are shared with the department. Contact Troy Buer for more information.
Past ABC Reading Selections
- Organizational and Leadership Virtues and the Role of Forgiveness (Kim Cameron & Arran Caza)
- Moments of Greatness: Entering the Fundamental State of Leadership (Robert E. Quinn)
- The Mundanity of Excellence (Daniel F. Chambliss)
- Ithaca (C.P. Cavafy)