Suggested Guidelines for Departmental P&T Committee
- Minimum number of people on the Dept.
P&T Committee: 3
- The Department P&T Committee may
include UVa members from outside the department (from elsewhere in the
School of Medicine or on Grounds). The Department Chair may be an
ex-officio, non-voting member.
- Members of the Department P&T
Committee may discuss and cast votes on candidates whose
proposed rank is at or below their own
- The Department P&T Committee must
review the candidate's complete portfolio, including the internal and
external letters of reference.
- The Department P&T Committee
recommends action to the Department Chair. The committee
completes the Department P&T Recommendation Form (available on the
- The Department P&T Recommendation
Form contains the committee's recommendation for the candidate, the
vote of the members, and a Summary Rationale for the
recommendation. The form will be added to the candidate's
(a) If the candidate's promotion was controversial for the department committee, the nature of the controversy should be described.
(b) Denials should include constructive feedback that gives suggestions for future/career guidance for the candidate.
- The Chair or the Chair-Designate is
responsible for timely notification of the candidate of the decision
(favorable or unfavorable). The constructive feedback from the
committee should be shared with the candidate.
- For candidates subsequently considered by the SOM P&T Committee, the Chair and/or Division Chief will write a Letter of Nomination to the Dean that should expand upon the Summary Rationale written by the Department P&T Committee.